cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Regarding SAP DB for DMS

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

Can anybody know why DMS using seperate SAP DB for storing documents.instead of using ERP DB.

I think content table is available in ERP DB also...

Pls confirm.

Regards

Chandra..

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Prince,

This is because DMS DB not require long term data archiving.

Hope this may help.

Regards,

Ravindra

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ravindhra

Thanks for your reply.

My question is, does seperate SAP DB is must for DMS environment? I cannot user other DB for DMS ?

Why not we use R3 database(in my case oracle) for DMS environment. Because already ERP has oracle database

and why DMS need separate SAP DB(MAXDB) for storing.

just because to avoid long term archiving?

Pls suggest.

Regards

Chandra

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Chandra,

This is because SAP content server 6.40 is supported with MAXDB database only.Review of the SAP Product Availability Matrix will bring in more clarity.

Also, you may receive more indepth responses in the forum DB & OS platforms > SAP MaxDB.

Regards,

Pradeepkumar Haragoldavar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

As you in DMS there are 2 main parts

1. Document Info Records -

2. Originals (different format of documents)

Originals can be stored in R/3 database table (DMS_CONT1_CD1) or File system or Archive server (such as SAP Content server, IXOS, so on...)

If you chose R/3 database table then keep in mind on size increasing due to storing of various format of files/documents.

Archive server or File system can be good option to store these orginals and reduce the burden on your database table.

In market there are few archive server who provide more security and better document/file management.

2nd question - why DMS need separate SAP DB(MAXDB) for storing?

DMS (I assume that you are referring DMS for SAP Content Server) is a separate application like other archive server (IXOS, DOCUMNTUM.....)

Hope this infromation gives you better idea on DMS, DIR, Originals, SAP Content server & other archive servers.

-Thanks,

Ajay

Former Member
0 Kudos

Further,posting down the response available from http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/44c3ba90-0201-0010-6a84-de86d1185...

What is the difference between SAP DB and MaxDB?

Technically, there is no difference. Up to release 7.4 the name for the database is SAP DB. Along with the coordination activities with MySQL, as of release 7.5 the database has been rebranded to MySQL MaxDB. It is the continuation of the same code and the same group of developers working on it. Commercially, MySQL AB will extend the non-SAP deployment of the database as a heavy duty, fit-for-the-enterprise database. SAP remains the owner of the code base and is responsible for the development and support.

Regards,

Pradeepkumar Haragoldavar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi guys

Thanks for all you replies..given points..

I got the information....

Regards

Chandra

Answers (0)