cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can we restrict changes made in BEx query not to resemble in Universe

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Gurus,

I have a question. Lets say if there is a universe created based on BEx query and if later on BEx query is changed (newly added Chars, KF's or change in names) can we restrict the changes not to resemble in Universe?

Please give me any related document or link which will be a big favor for me.

Thanks a lot for your time.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Any objects added to the query (i.e. in the free characteristics, rows or columns in Query Designer) will appear in the universe. You could, however, hide those objects in the universe if you don't want them to be able available to report users.

0 Kudos

Keep in mind that new objects will NOT appear automatically in the universe UNLESS you refresh the structure of it.

Normally after a change the universe should be refreshed and there exist changes which will cause your universe to fail UNLESS you refresh it.

Regards,

Stratos

Former Member
0 Kudos

Both of you thanks a lot for your responses.

My understanding based on your responses is its not a good idea to keep Universe without refreshing after adding or deleting new fields. If we dont refresh it the data mapping from BO to source will be incorrect. Please correct me if i am wrong.

And

Lets say if there are any KFs or Chars in BEx query that are in hidden mode will they come into Universe Designer panel in BO?

Please let me know.

Thx again for your valuable time.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hiding objects in BEx will not stop those objects appearing in the universe (after a refresh). You would need to hide them in Universe Designer to prevent them being seen by report developers using that universe.

You should refresh your universe whenever you make changes to your BEx query. I'd avoid removing objects unless you're definitely sure that you do not need them in the universe.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello gurus,

when we generate a report on a universe which is built on a bex query having report to report functionality,Does the funcionality of bex query work in Web reports built on universe.

0 Kudos

Changes in the BEx query are not reflected always automatically in your universe: Eg. if you add an new restriction or a new keyfigure. You have to maunally refresh the structure of your universe and export it again on your BOBJ server.

Some changes will be automatically available though eg. if you change the code of a customer exit variable which is already used in your BEx query, even if you do not refresh the universe.

Please keep in mind that some kind of changes in the query (removing existing key figures or characteristics) may cause error messages when you try to run your universe (assuming you did not update it).

The recommendation here is to refresh your universe when you change the underlying BEx query. If you do not want to do that then your universe may stop working.

Regards,

Stratos