cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Many WDA(ABAP)-Applications on one portal-page

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi!

We are using WebDynpro(ABAP)-Applications within the SAP-portal. On some pages, there are many small applications - one page contains up to 7 independent WDAs, each in one own iView.

Now we have the problem, that the more applications are on one page, it more often happens, that at least one of them suddenly times out. That is not a real timeout-problem! We think it is because of so many applications on one page.

If we just navigate on pages with less applications, we don't get those time-outs.

Does anybody know if there is a restriction on how many applications are allowed or recommended? Is there a parameter concerning this situation? Is there a max-parameter for "HTTP-Plugin"-Connections (Transaction SM04) per User or IP-address?

Any hint or help is highly appreciated! The portal is quite useless with those strange timeouts...

Thanks in advance!

Kind regards,

TopperDEL

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

>On some pages, there are many small applications - one page contains up to 7 independent WDAs, each in one own iView.

This isn't really recommended. For each iView you have a separate, isolated user session and connection on the ABAP server. It is OK to do this with 2 or maybe three iViews, but if you get more than that you should really do this differently. You should create multiple WD Components and assemble them on the ABAP server side. In 7.01 we have the Floorplan Manager to help with this. In 7.02 we even introduce a tool called the page builder for loosely coupled WD Components (called CHIPs) yet still with one consolidated user session.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thomas, thank you very much for your quick answer.

So there is no parameter to set ore any other possibilty - despite assembling them on the backend-side (which is quite impossible; at least takes much time)?

Is there a hard cut-off for more connections? Is that documented anywhere? What is the maximum?

Thank you very much so far!

TopperDEL

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

There are various user session limits and total connection limits. However even if you up these limits you have a very undesirable architecture here. The amount of system resources required for all these separate user sessions is extremely wasteful. The correct architecture is to perform your page assembly in the backend system.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ok, I got that. But if I could just increase the relevant parameter by one or two, this would help a lot.

I keep that in mind and will try to assemble them on the backend side.

Do you know the relevant parameters?

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

Many of the related parameters are documented here:

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw70ehp1/helpdata/en/fa/a5554a1de4964e8459851782eddda3/frameset.htm

I can't say which one is the cause without knowing more about what exactly is happening. You could be exhausting memory (with the ICM or the Application server), hitting a total number of connections limit or a per user limit. It could be a limit at the ICM level or at the application server level.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Good, thank you!

Have a nice day!

TopperDEL

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi!

I created my own framwork for assembling many WebDynpro-Components via customizing in different layouts and it is working! No more timeouts so far.

So I finally got it to work!

Kind regards,

TopperDEL

Answers (0)