cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rules uploading methods

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi experts,

My question is related to rules uploading.

As far as I know there are just two methods:

1. By using the individual txt files.

2. By exporting current rules, modifying the obtained u201Crules fileu201D and finally upload it back.

We are using a u201Ctest systemu201D to improve our rules, check them and get the definitively ones. Unfortunately our u201Cproduction systemu201D is connected to more backend systems than the test one. That implies more connectors and, therefore, a human action to adapt the downloaded file from the test machine.

Which of the exposed methods would you recommend in order to minimize errors and manual work in rules adaption? Notice that production system has already a ruleset loaded (the one we are enhancing previously in test system)

Is there any SAP recommended method for such a matter? Maybe an OSS note about it?

Thank you very much in advance

Chema.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you Imanol and Tyler for your anwers.

Unfortunately, I can't use "logical systems" cause production environment contains 2 "cross systems" and, as SAP note 1178372 remarks, it's not a good idea to mix them. I prefer not taking the risk in a production environment

So I guess that primary question still prevails, which method shall be used?

Reading your comments, Imanol, I understand that you would recomend the first one: Erase rules with the "rule deletion utility" and load new rules with the text files, as in a new GRC implementation (trying first in test system, I agree , wouldn't you?

By the way, where can I get the "rule deletion utility"? (I've never used it direclty)

Thanks again.

Former Member
0 Kudos

The rule deletion option came in one of the latest Support Packs (I believe 11 but don't hold me to it). Be cautious using this as it will deleted connectors and such as well.

Without seeing your landscape, it's hard to suggest an "easy" fix to the issue. If you have more productive ECC systems than test ECC systems, you either have to duplicate rules or create a logical system. You've mentioned your cross system issue, but there might still be options to explore using logical and cross systems where possible. I'm sorry I can't help more!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Chema,

Hope you are doing fine.

As tyler states, the best way is to use logical system approach.

Furthermore, why not cleaning up the production system with the current rules and upload the new one? You could remove all the risk structure manually or apply the rule deletion utility. Please, try the rule deletion first in GRC DEV environment.

Have a look also to 1373465 (very good one).

Take care.

Imanol

Former Member
0 Kudos

Without knowing the system connector delta and if they are the same type of system (e.g. ECC, BI, etc.), I would suggest using logical systems. The benefit of logical systems is that you don't need to alter the rule set when moving it thru the landscape. If the logical system name is the same in your test and production environments, the rules will automatically apply to all systems associated with the logical system in the specific environments. In other words, if you have more ECC systems in production, the rules will still apply to all of those systems, even though connectors don't exist in test because the rules have been defined at the logicaly system level rather than the physical system.