cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XI for data migration

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I want to know, How XI is feasible for Data migration.

I will be thankful to you, if you give me the reason for Yes/No.

Thanks

Mohan

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (6)

Answers (6)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Katta,

AFAIK, If your legacy data migration to SAP is one time activity then you better <b>use LSMW or BDC's</b> to achieve the same.

If your Legacy will also co-exist with SAP system then go for XI since you'll be using XI as a middleware between Legacy and SAP.

Regards,

Ananth

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Katta,

These threads should definitely help you..

Just go through the same.

cheers,

Prashanth

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Katta,

Do you want to know the feasibility on a functional level or a technical level?

-Sushumna

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Katta,

In that case you can use XI to migrate the data, if you can break the data in small chunks and migrate over period of time.

Thanks,

Prateek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am looking for more inputs, Can anybody help for the same?

Thanks

Mohan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Katta,

This is purely depends on the nature of data, size, format in which the data will be available from source and time frame in which you want to migrate.

Thanks,

Prateek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Prateek,

My situation is we are migrating from NON-SAP systems to SAP systems.

The volume of data is HIGH. But the customer is ready to chunk the data for migration.

Thanks

Mohan

moorthy
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

If you are going to use XI for the data migration, then if you have huge messages , then it is better to split the data into small volumes and you can proceed.

Or Uploading the data thru program is also a good option here.

Regards

Moorthy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Katta,

XI is an integration tool and its meant to act as a central hub in the landscape. From my experience i have noticed that using XI for data migration is not a wise thing. This is because, the hardware size of the XI boxes are decided based on the size of the XML messages transferred from one system to another. This will be calculated based on the no of interfaces, the xml message size, etc. You can find the hardware size depending on the no of interfaces and its size/volume of data from this link. http://service.sap.com/quicksizing.

Hence when the XI boxes are used for data migration, then the interfaces wont be performing as expected due to the shortage of memory. When data migration is considered, it has to be completed perfectly and in a short period of time before the go live preparations start.

Also if we are going for small amount of data in each and every file, then there should be a dedicated person to handle this file handling to make sure that all the files are fed into XI to be posted into your SAP system, it has been posted into the target system properly.

Cheers

JK

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi JK,

Thanks for your inputs.

Thanks

Mohan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Katta,

Please have a look at this pdf which discusses the same in detail:-

http://hosteddocs.ittoolbox.com/SAP%20Data%20Migration%20Using%20XI.pdf

Regards,

Sushumna

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

XI is a Integration tool with in ur landscape. It avoids the point-point integration between the source and target systems. XI acts as a central hub in ur land scape.

All messages are processed in XML inside XI server.

Regards,

Jai Shankar.