cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

System copy tools for SAP Basis 46C.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I need to do system copy for SAP Basis 46c. I have a query regarding the tools used for system copy. It is written in the SAP Documents and we need to use the latest version of the system copy tools (i.e. R3load,R3check,R3ldctl,,R3szchk,R3trans).

I need to do the Heterogeneouse system copy

Source :- Oracle 9.2.0.8 , AIX 5.3

Target :- Oralce 9.2.0.8 (Or 10.2.0.4 if possible) , Sun Solaris

So my question is

1) Am i suppose to use only the tools (i.e. R3load,R3check,R3ldctl,,R3szchk,R3trans) which are compatible to relase 4.6C (Kernel 46D_EXT, latest path level is 2541) or

2) Can i download and use the Latest version of system copy tools (i.e. Withe release 7.00 for R3load,R3check,R3ldctl,,R3szchk,R3trans) to do the herogeneous system copy of SAP Basis 4.6C ??

Please reply.

Thanks

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

On your source system you must use the kernel tools fitting to your source system's release - therefore you need to use the tools for release 4.6C.

Kind regards,

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sven,

Thanks for the reply. I have some more quries. The database size of the present SAP 4.6C system is around 8TB. Archiving is not in the scope of the project. It is very important to optimize the system copy processs. In order to do it, i have gone through many documents. but it's bit confusing. I need to know very clearly which of the tools i can use in SAP Basis 4.6C release (database - Oracle 9.2.0.7, O/s AIX 5.3).

Request you all to let me know from below options, which are the tools i can use to optimize the heterogeneous system copy for SAP Basis 4.6C release ?

1) start Migration monitor manually with simalteneous Export and Import ?

2) Distribution monitor?

3) Package splitter?

4) Table splitter?

5) Unsorted unload?

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Did you check http://service.sap.com/systemcopy -> System Copy & Migration -> Optimization?

It explains the points you listed above.

Kind regards,

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

First of all:

For a heterogeneous migration you must have a certified migration consultant on-site, otherwise you'll loose support for problems during the migration and for the target system (see http://service.sap.com/osdbmigration --> FAQ).

> Thanks for the reply. I have some more quries. The database size of the present SAP 4.6C system is around 8TB. Archiving is not in the scope of the project. It is very important to optimize the system copy processs. In order to do it, i have gone through many documents. but it's bit confusing. I need to know very clearly which of the tools i can use in SAP Basis 4.6C release (database - Oracle 9.2.0.7, O/s AIX 5.3).

There are no optimizations "by default" delivered, a consultant may have adapted tools for a migration of an ancient 4.6c system. There is no integration in R3SETUP for the migration monitor, you will need to stop it manually on certain places and eventually modify migmon/distmon. You will also not be able to use the fastloader (-loadprocedure fast) because R3load of 4.6c (46D_EX2) doesn't support that option.

I wouldn't do such a big project alone because, as said, you require a consultant to get support.

You can, of course, use Oracle 10g on the target system, 4.6c + Oracle 10g is supported. The export is database and operating system independent.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Markus

Thanks for the reply.

Yes we are aware about the certified consultant. But before going for such a big project we wanted to find out the possibilities how we can minimise system downtime and optimize the process therefore wanted to have some information earlier.

So now i am very sure that we can use 10.2 while installation of new target system while doing heterogenouse system copy from oracle 9.2.

With reference to my earlier queries regarding :-1) start Migration monitor manually with simalteneous Export and Import ?

2) Distribution monitor?3) Package splitter? 4) Table splitter?5) Unsorted unload?

I have gone through SAP Document "System copy & Migration optimization.pdf" where i have found below information and wanted to write it here again to benefit those who are in same situation as mine.

1) Migration Monitor (source :-System copy & Migration optimization.pdf)

The Migration Monitor is downward-compatible. As new features and bug fixes are only implemented in the latest version, SAP urgently recommends that you always use the latest version available.

2) Distribution Monitor (Source :- Distribution Monitor (version 1.9.1) Usersu2019 Guide)

Restrictions:-The following restrictions apply to the current implementation:The DM does not support system copies of releases lower than SAP_BASIS 6.20

3) PACKAGE SPLITTING (source :-System copy & Migration optimization.pdf)

The package splitting option is available and integrated into the system copy tools R3SETUP and SAPinst since SAP R/3 4.0B SR1.

4) TABLE SPLITTING (source :-System copy & Migration optimization.pdf)

AVAILABILITY:

Table splitting can be used for ABAP systems with SAP kernel 6.40 or above

5) UNSORTED UNLOAD (source :-System copy & Migration optimization.pdf)

I found out that there are more disadvantages than the advantage of unsorted unload. Hence might not be helpful for me.

6) R3LOAD OPTIONS - (source :-System copy & Migration optimization.pdf)

R3load option '-fast' (<= 4.6D) or '-loadprocedure fast': These options are available

u2022 from SAP kernel release 6.40 for - DB2/UDB - MSSQL - Oracle (see SAP Note 1045847 - Oracle Direct Path Load Support in R3load)

Request your final comments on the above points and Need to know whether parallel import and export can be done for 4.6C (46D_EXT Kernel) release using migration monitor. Please reply.

Thanks & Regards

0 Kudos

For this db size, transportable tablespaces can be an option.

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> Yes we are aware about the certified consultant. But before going for such a big project we wanted to find out the possibilities how we can minimise system downtime and optimize the process therefore wanted to have some information earlier.

Exactly that is the use of that consultant Those are experienced people who have done lots of migrations in the past, they know the possibilities of the tools and versions.

> So now i am very sure that we can use 10.2 while installation of new target system while doing heterogenouse system copy from oracle 9.2.

Correct.

> 1) Migration Monitor (source :-System copy & Migration optimization.pdf)

> The Migration Monitor is downward-compatible. As new features and bug fixes are only implemented in the latest version, SAP urgently recommends that you always use the latest version available.

You can use it of course but support of it is not "built in" - there's no clicker to check as is in newer versions of sapinst. You will need to modify the R3S file at the "correct place" to make use of it.

> 2) Distribution Monitor (Source :- Distribution Monitor (version 1.9.1) Usersu2019 Guide)

> Restrictions:-The following restrictions apply to the current implementation:The DM does not support system copies of releases lower than SAP_BASIS 6.20

So you can't use that option.

> 3) PACKAGE SPLITTING (source :-System copy & Migration optimization.pdf)

> The package splitting option is available and integrated into the system copy tools R3SETUP and SAPinst since SAP R/3 4.0B SR1.

The "old version" is a perl script, you'll need to make sure you have perl installed.

>

> 4) TABLE SPLITTING (source :-System copy & Migration optimization.pdf)

> AVAILABILITY:

> Table splitting can be used for ABAP systems with SAP kernel 6.40 or above

So that is also not usable.

> 6) R3LOAD OPTIONS - (source :-System copy & Migration optimization.pdf)

> R3load option '-fast' (<= 4.6D) or '-loadprocedure fast': These options are available

> u2022 from SAP kernel release 6.40 for - DB2/UDB - MSSQL - Oracle (see SAP Note 1045847 - Oracle Direct Path Load Support in R3load)

So it's also not built in for Kernel 46D_EX2.

> Request your final comments on the above points and Need to know whether parallel import and export can be done for 4.6C (46D_EXT Kernel) release using migration monitor. Please reply.

As I said before and as is written in the documentation, it can be used but not "by default", you'll make sure you stop at the right place with your migration to configure it manually (or the consultant will do).

Markus

Answers (0)