Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Basic questions on Enterprise Services

former_member198060
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello,

I have a few open questions on the topic for myself and hope that you can help me to answer them:

1) In my Systemlandscape I have several ECC 6.0 systems and a PI system. Now if I want to use a SAP standard webservice, let's say some of the customer fact sheet webservices.. what would be the procedure?

Would I need to identify which packages the content is in and then download these packages from SAP service marketplace? And has this to be done on PI side or on the backend side? Or both?

If I then want to use one of those standard webservices, e.g. "Find Customer Address Basic Data by Name and Address", where would the service call be directed to? To SAP PI or to the backend system?

2) If I have a Webservice which should extract mass data, e.g. data about all customers - would this be a feasible web service scenario? Or a web services only used to extract single customers in general? I wonder about things like performance, timeouts, error handling, etc.

3) Composition

What tool is at the moment used for composing web services? Is it some design tool on PI (BPM?) or is it rather Visual Composer on CE or even WebDynpro (ABAP or Java?)

I hope you can help me to clear up some of these questions.

Best Regards,

Peter

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Peter,

Answers to your questions:

Would I need to identify which packages the content is in and then download these packages from SAP service marketplace? And has this to be done on PI side or on the backend side? Or both?

You need to ensure that the content exists on both if you want to use SAP PI to customize the SAP standard enterprise services & create proxies in the back-end (ECC). You could also just use the standard services as they come shipped from SAP, in that case you just need to ensure that the content exists in ECC.

If I then want to use one of those standard webservices, e.g. "Find Customer Address Basic Data by Name and Address", where would the service call be directed to? To SAP PI or to the backend system?

It depends how you set up your scenario. You could have the web service mediated through SAP PI or another ESB (Enterprise Service Bus) using different technology. In that case, the service call will be directed to SAP (or ESB) & then the back-end. You could also setup a point-to-point scenario where the service call is routed from the consumer straight to the back-end. Ultimately, the call has to reach the ECC back-end to process, what changes is what is put in betwwen the consumer & the ECC back-end.

If I have a Webservice which should extract mass data, e.g. data about all customers - would this be a feasible web service scenario? Or a web services only used to extract single customers in general? I wonder about things like performance, timeouts, error handling, etc.

I wouldn't recommend this kind of scenario when using web services. It would more relevant for maybe batch or asynchronous scenarios, also maybe mediated through SAP PI. All your concerns are valid.

What tool is at the moment used for composing web services? Is it some design tool on PI (BPM?) or is it rather Visual Composer on CE or even WebDynpro (ABAP or Java?)

This question isn't all that clear. For web services 'Composition' you can use the ESR (Enterprise Service Repository) that comes shipped with SAP PI or SAP CE. ccBPM in SAP PI is used for async messaging so that can't work for web services.

For 'Orchestration' of web services, SAP CE would be your preferred tool & you could also use Netweaver BPM that comes with CE to orchestrate several web service calls for a specific business process. This doesn't stop you from using anything else (like Java for example) to do your orchestration but you want the flexibility of being able to change a business process on the fly & SAP CE with BPM provides this.

Regards, Trevor

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi ,

you can all the scenarios and how to documents with expamples from http://erp.esworkplace.sap.com/socoview

also validate to your requirement

/people/rathish.balakrishnan/blog/2008/09/01/all-you-ever-wanted-to-know-about-enterprise-services-repository-and-services-registry-150-really

Regards

Nagaraju