cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unproffessional Comments form moderators

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Moderators,

I am member since 2006 and I used to participate in SDN fourum activiely in 2006 and 2007. That this I was the top contributer in From Priting. That time most of the members used to open threads and once get the answers they used to leave it as it is.

I used to give a comments in all my threads that "Please Close this thread.. when your problem is solved andReward if Helpful"

due to my busy work I did not participated in furums since 2 year and since few days I am posting answers. Now also I am using the same comments at the end of my answers.

I observed that moderators are editing those messages or rejecting the postings. It seems the time has changed and all forum users are aware about how our forum is working..

One of the moderator kishan P has edited my positng and updted unproffessional comments. like "Welcome to the 21st Century. Do not beg for points."

I am surprised.... we all are working proffessionals and should have minimum knowldgede of respecting other proffessionals.

If the moderator really wants to say that donot ask or inform about points I think he can remove the post or edit it.. but I think it is not a proper manner to give such a comments.

Could you pelase give moderator status to the members who are good professionals or give some training how they have to respond to the new members... the comments should be encuraged enough to invite more professional but not to dissppoint them

Thank you for understandig...

/message/9732065#9732065 [original link is broken]

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Begging for ponits has never been professional and always been an irritation as well. Please see the Rules of Engagement at the top of the ABAP forums for other infos. The thread is called "Hot News!"...

Well, since you have been away things have changed somewhat and generally moderators are tolerant with freshers who make "intuitive" mistakes invoked by the (ponits) system.

In your case, I can understand that having several hundred posts to your name already made it a "Hello World" moment to have used this expression, as the mods could not have known that you were "new" (again).

I would call it quits and carry on playing

Cheers,

Julius

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for you reply Julius,

As I said in my prevous post we are not here for posting only for point but share and improve our knowldge..

Could you please also provide your feedback about the comments of the moderators. Do you thinkg the moderatos should wirte such comments in the thereads? is it good?

I this there are different ways do the same by removing the comments or rejecting the reply but not writing such harsh comments...

Regards

Naresh

ThomasZloch
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

As for the comment itself, I'll wait for pk to stop by here, he surely will.

Especially in ABAP General, moderation is "mass processing", one often has to use rather mechanic procedures to be able to cope with the flood of new posts. Unfortunately a lot of people do not seem to have this professional attitude that you are referring to, and it is not easy and sometimes impossible to tell the camps apart just based on the text of each post.

Please understand that and do not ask for points in the future. As Julius said, things have changed quite a bit (to the better) since your active days.

Thomas

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks alot both for your reply and comment!.. Now I know what's next...

Could you please infrom the moderator to remove his comments..

Thanks you

Naresh

Edited by: Naresh Reddy K on Nov 17, 2010 4:15 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Naresh,

I can assure you that moderating can sometimes be a strain and there are a small number of "repeat offenders" who seem to intentionally even test our patience.

Yes, with them we are sometimes harsh and different opinions about the judgement calls which moderators need to make in the forums exist - particularly from those on the "receiving end" when our patience wears out.

I think it is understandable to have been mistaken for someone intentionally breaking the rules or not caring about there being any, and the choice between online feedback and rejecting the post is case-by-case.

I would probably have done the same ... thinking that it was the needfull.

Cheers,

Julius

Former Member
0 Kudos

I did it for him, because moderating is team work

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks a lot !...

marilyn_pratt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Glad that this has been resolved in a professional and cordial manner by both sides. I have to admit, while always an advocate for civil tone and cordial behaviour, I might have lost my patience as well to see a moderator posting that particular signature. You must understand the red flag waved when using such a moderator stamp with a "suggestion for giving something" that has been a point of contention for months or even years.

So welcome back to moderating. It is a privledge which if abused is revoked. We have relatively few external moderators. The ones we do have are very trusted members of the community. It has happened on ocassion that the trust has been broken and there are some cases where the privledge is removed.

Thanks for your understanding in this.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I might have lost my patience

Possibly it was exactly that which happened when the dreaded words with content-filter work-around spelling mistakes appeared, again...

Cheers,

Julius

former_member184657
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Naresh and the Community,

Firstly, my apologies for the unprofessional words used. As has already been stated, there are times when we Moderators snap. This usually happens when a full-time employee with work pressures have to spend part of his time in:

- Moving 30-40 threads to the right subforum,

- Lock, edit and warn 10-20 threads

- Suggest 10-20 postors to use appropriate titles, informative questions, post questions in the right forum etc

- Edit 5-10 ASAP and Argent requests for answers

- Read through 10-20 Abuse Reports and act on them

on a daily basis.

Some people even after repeated requests and warnings just dont get it. In such cases, we propose their ID for deletion. And in between all these we get posts with a "request" for points - which as you must have found out is pretty obselete. This is where the usual snapping point comes. But yes, you are right we do need to maintain a professional approach.

As I stated earlier, some users just do not get it after repeated requests. In such cases, we as a moderator resort to various tactics - humour being one of them. This was one such case that probably went horribly wrong for me. And I sincerely apologize. I will be more polite in the future. People who know me here, probably already know I've already sobered a lot after the Moderatoral responsibilty and trying harder at it.

I would also like to thank you for pointing this out, as it will only make this community a better place for all of us.

pk

Former Member
0 Kudos

That's the problem with a forum: in some cases you never know for 100% sure whether a remark is really intended as an offense or rather placed with a sense of humor.

Moderating is hard, esp with SCN where the only language used is english and not all are fluent in english. But looking at your list of things to do / done i can only say Hats off..

Now: GROUP HUG!!!

edit: on second thought: No Hugs! In case Break-point tells me not to beg for points again.

ThomasZloch
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Maybe Breakpoint's remark was also ironic? (I remember the thread). Here we have it again, you can't be totally sure whether somebody is serious or not, I recommend using ";-)" to be on the safe side.

I for my side like your ironic comments in the right spots, so keep them coming.

This would be a very dry place without any (dark) humour.

Thomas

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Kishan,

I understand your situation and how hectic the moderator job.. I don't expect any apology from you.. after all you are a co-member of our community.

I only raised this point because I was really felf bad about the comments and I though it is better to inform moderators remove those coments from my post.. thats all,,

I really appriciate and thank you all moderators for their job..

Regards

Naresh

former_member184657
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thank you for understanding. You are of course free to raise such an issue if you feel so.

pk

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Naresh and others,

As an example, I also "probe" folks sometimes to see whether "repeat offenders" are responsive and have a sense of humour on their side. Get them thinking a bit.

Please take a look at [Lyer, lyer... pants on fyer|;

I also moved it to the Test & Playground forum instead of deleting it (judgement call - as also mentioned by PK and others). The OP (Opening Poster) has not responded yet... lets see.

All in all, after reading through many of his posts, I thing he just became lazy on SDN to be honest. When he first arived, the questions were relatively better and he even contributed a few times. After that, he seemed to have lost the community feeling and only pops questions.

Perhaps he does not really care about ponits because he is not measured by them, and lost the SAP community feeling on SDN when he could not compete with ponits gamers etc.

Lets see. As promised, I will eat my hat if I am wrong....

Cheers,

Julius

David
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

@Julius - "kebronos" - isn't that a Klingon word meaning "please guestify me for my failure in battle"?

OttoGold
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Lets see. As promised, I will eat my hat if I am wrong....

Could you send a picture?

Former Member
0 Kudos

With all due respect to the dissenting opinions, I didn't see much wrong with the comment. It was meant as a wake-up call and served its purpose.

There have certainly been far worse comments in the forums.

Rob