cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Must Web Dynpro execute in EP?

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi there, can i use the Web Dynpro framework to develop browser-based application, executing in the SAP application server?

In other words, my Web Dynpro created application can run in SAP AS without SAP enterprise portal.

Or, do i have to execute Web Dynpro in SAP EP?

- Daniel Koch

Standard Bank of South Africa

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

from a technical point Web Dynpro is independent from the SAP Enterprise Portal - the only thing you need is J2EE 6.40 engine.

But putting your Web Dynpro applications into the portal you win of course a lot of new features like the role-based access to your applications.

You can easily navigate between different applications located on different portal pages and applications, running on the same portal page could use the portal eventing to communicate and to share data.

The portal allows you also very easily to put together your Web Dynpro applications with all other applications you have implemented in the past.

Best regards

Jochen

PS: Using Web Dynpro it is not only possible to develop browser-based applications. The Web Dynpro framework is totally client-independent. Therefore you do not have to change anything in your Web Dynpro application if you want to run your application in an smart client for example.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi!

Additional question:

The Portal integration automates the Single Sign-On process to single and/or multiple backends - that's good!

But what do I have to do to achieve (single) sign-on in my native Web Dynpro application?

Currently in all samples of Web Dynpro "system", "client", "user" and "password" are hard-defined whithin the Web Dynpro Content Admin resp. in the Adaptive RFC Model when creating such a one.

How can I achieve, that a Logon screen appears in the Web Dynpro Application with prompt for user and password and pass this dynamic information on to the JCO?

Regards,

Volker

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

The short answer is that user management is part of WAS and hence you don't need EP installation to perform the task you talked about. For more information refer to UME (user management system) documentation.

In addition,

WAS and Jco are different types of users. The first are managed by UME and the last by backend system (R\3 for example). You can map them one to another and you don't need EP for this.

Hope it helps.

Victor.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

if you want to run your Web Dynpro application with an

authenticated user, you have to define your Web Dynpro application using "Authentication".

Start your DevStudio, navigate to your application in the Web Dynpro Explorer and open the properties editor of the application.

Add a new properties of the "Pre-Defined" and choose "Authentication" and set it to TRUE.

Doing this you will get a logon screen when starting the

Web Dynpro application.

If you need more infos about defining the used JCo destinations please have a look to the document "How to use the Web Dynpro Content Administrator" here in the SDN.

Hope that helps. Regards

Jochen

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanx very much (to both repliers)!

I think that will help.

Regards,

Volker

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

WD don't need EP to run, Algouths WD has some APIs desined for EP it requires only WAS to run

Regards,

Victor.