cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

usr/sap/<sid> housekeeping

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello All,

I want to do some housekeeping on my development and test R/3 systems to reduce the amount of space being used by the usr/sap/<sid> directory. Does anyone have any advice on what files can be legitimately removed? We are running the standard SAP jobs so the job logs are being kept tidy but other directories are growing e.g. DVEBMGS00\work.

Thanks,

Paul.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Paul,

You can deleted all the .old files from the work directory too. Every time you restart the system all the old logs are renamed as .old

Hope this help.

Juan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Pascal and Prince, your information is extremely helpful. You're right - the core file doesn't make any sense to us so I've deleted any that I've found in all of our test and development systems.

I'm going to use this forum more often, your replies have been really useful.

Regards,

Paul.

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI Paul,

please assign some points for us, that's the way to say thanks here

Regards,

Pascal

Former Member
0 Kudos

thanks this help me a lot, to save space

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Prem, there is a large core file in \FQE\usr\sap\FQE\DVEBMGS00\work from last December. Are you absolutely certain that deleting this file won't cause problems? I'm very cautious about deleting files in case I remove something fundamental!

Cheers,

Paul.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Paul,

you can savely delete the core files. Also check if there are old files starting with TRACE in the work directory, you can also savely delete those.

If you want, you can also delete the whole work directory content, but ONLY when the system is stopped. We do this every time we copy a system.

Regards,

Pascal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Paul,

This core dumps are usually created when program terminations or when work process crashes. It’s an image of what was in memory at the time program crashed. It’s more likely to be used by specialized programmers who maintain and occasionally have to debug problems in operating systems. So it doesn’t make much sense to us. You can delete these file from OS level.

Thanks

Prince Jose

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Mr. Paul,

As per my view files within these two folders can be completely removed / deleted.

E:\usr\sap\trans\log

E:\usr\sap\trans\EPS\in

Again incase if you find any .CORE file in /usr/sap/SID/DVEBMGS<SYS NO.>/work being generated then you can delete this file too.

Regards,

Prem