cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File Processing Methodology

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have the following requirement from the customer.

They would be appending record by record every minute in the same file and XI needs to process them into ECC.

Is this possible since file locking mechanisms will create problems.

The customer mentioned that they will look for the file while writing with the same name and if not found, will create new file with the same name.

Since this would cause real problems or incomplete records, I had advised them to create separate file for each record since the volume of records is just 20 or 30 per day.

Other option ihad recommended is to create them the file in .tmp and rename them to original filename after fully written. This will ensure that XI always picks up complete files.

Though this approach is good, the customer is reluctant to do the changes on their side.

Let me know whether there are any other alternative solution for this apporach.

Please note that the volume and size is pretty low which is less than 250kb file.

Regards

Krish

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Krish,

If the customer insists on writing to the same file, you can proceed as follows:

1. Ask the customer to update the same file with the records again & again

2. Once the File is ready to be sent, the customer can append some text which signifies the End of File. eg. String "EOFRECORDS"

3. In the File Sender channel configuration, you can specify a command (batch script) which will be called before message processing. In the btach script the logic will be as follows:

3.1 Keep Searching the file for End of File indicator.

3.2 Once the End of File Indicator is found, process this file with the help of the File sender channel.

Please take a look at similar discussion below (and check out my reply with the batch script):

I hope this helps.

Regards, Gaurav.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

did you consider to use the option "Msecs to Wait Before Modification Check" in the advanced settings of the File Sender channel configuration?

The details in OSS Note 821267 - FAQ: XI 3.0 / PI 7.0/ PI 7.1 File Adapter

Anyway, the best solution in terms of efficiency and security is to use temporary files as recomended by SAP.

Francesco