Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Authorization object to display table field names in english text in SE17

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

One of users have issues with the filed name getting displayed in technical format instead of english text while browsing table information in SE17. Normally we can set this in through Settings->User Parameters. But here for this user, user parameter option is greyed out and he doesn't have access to SE16.

Is there any other way to change user specific parameters, instead of granting him accesss to SE16 or enabling user parameters in SE17?

Thanks,

Mano

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Former Member
0 Kudos

go to SE16 (one time activity for that user) and go to Settings -> User Parameters

under Keyword -> select radio button 'Field Label'

once done this setting also applies to SE17, then you can remove SE16 access

regards,

Surpreet

15 REPLIES 15

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

Please grant access to the below object, then the user can have access to change GUI settings.

Auth Object : S_GUI

Act = 02

Regards

Hari

0 Kudos

Hi,

I made him run SU53 on SE17 transaction the log is showing that authorization check failed for S_ALV_LAYO with value 23.

Actually i have access SE16 and for me also, user parameter option is greyed out in SE17. I ran SU53 on SE17 in my session i also got same log.

One more observation is, the user's colleague also doesn't have access to SE16 and user parameter option is greyed out in SE17 but he can view the table field names in english. So we are wondering if some authorization object is missing here.

We do not want user to make any changes through GUI.

Thanks,

Mano.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Manohar,

Which table is that?

Rgds,

Raghu

0 Kudos

Hi Raghu,

Any table, these user parameters are not table dependent,Right?

Mano.

0 Kudos

Hi Manohar,

I am not asking about the user parameters and yes they are not table specific. I am looking for the table name where user is getting the fields in different language.

For the user parameters option grayed out, I recommend to verify if it is disabled for all users. If yes, you need to make settings at a global level.

Further, S_ALV_LAYO with 23 gives authorization to change/save global layouts which should not be open. This is not the correct missing authorization.

Regards,

Raghu

0 Kudos

Hi Raghu,

The filed names are not coming in different language, they are appearing as technical name.For examnle ,Company Code will be appared as BUKRS. This happens if the user parameters are set to "Field Name" instead of "Filed Lables".I think for this user the settings are pre-set as "Field Name". I am looking for options if we can change this is "Field Lables".

The user parameter option is greyed out tin SE17 for all.It is a global setting should not be activated.

Thanks,

Mano.

Former Member
0 Kudos

go to SE16 (one time activity for that user) and go to Settings -> User Parameters

under Keyword -> select radio button 'Field Label'

once done this setting also applies to SE17, then you can remove SE16 access

regards,

Surpreet

0 Kudos

well done that man!

Actually... just tried it

In SE17 you should have access to change th parameter BEFORE you enter the table and press enter?

Edited by: David Berry on Nov 16, 2010 5:42 PM

0 Kudos

Supreet,

As i mentioned before, i know taht we can set the parameters in SE16. But here we do not want to grant the user access to SE16 or enable user parameters in SE17. Because his team mates also do not have these authorzations but can stll see the field names in English.

Is there any other way? If there is no other way, then we'll consider giving one time acccess to SE16 and set the parametes and then remove the access.

Thanks,

Mano.

0 Kudos

Hi

Try SE17 again but set the parameter on the initial screen and not in the one showing the table names - think it works.

Cheers

David

0 Kudos

Yes as David said, you can do it directly in SE17 also

SE17 -> Settings -> User parameters

Former Member
0 Kudos

We have given temporary access to the user to SE16 and changed the parameters.

0 Kudos

hm

happy to know that my suggestion helped...

0 Kudos

Sometimes the path you have chosen is the only way...

0 Kudos

Sometimes the path chosen is ancient wisdom, and may the wind blow in your face while you... (normally you only make this mistake once when about 5 years old) and the sun shine...

I have gotten used to the fact that some gems go lost and selective transactions are not intuitive enough for a step-by-step.

Chin up!

Julius