cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NWDI developer license for NON-R3 apps

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

some non-SAP developers/engineers in our company are searching for a framework to develop web based applications.

When we discussed their needs I got the idea of using our Sap Portal environment.

The NWDI environment is not completely set up but we could use already

To do this several questions are to be solved.

- Is it possible to define non SAP/R3 database resources in the environment ?

- What license impact does this have on

-- Portal / NWDI server

-- potential Developer with NWDS

- is the use limited to JSP and JAVA/JAVA WS or what's about PHP/Ruby/Python etc integration

The foreseen applications are only running in our intranet.

Thanks for your comments and help.

Regards

Georg

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Thunder and others,

thanks for the answer.

The question relating to the developers was meant as if there is a

potential fee for usage of the NWDS in combination with the NWDI/Portal?

Meaning the users have "only" e.g. a "SAP limited Professional"

instead of a "SAP Developer" license.

The question about the infrastructure or "Portal / NWDI server" was also related

to the licencse (that's why there were the 2 dashes )

And yes I expected already on additional server for the DI.

Thus is that the only additional server instance we've to create or should there be

some more?

I guess this one will then be communicate with the different developer machines and

integrate with the developer portal as a test environment for the apps?

Relating to the portal with have currently the three instances (Devel/Test or QA/Productive)

running on the same server machine (dual XEON 2.8GHz, 16GByte memory with potentially

~100 to 500 user sessions overall).

Thanks

Georg

dao_ha
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Georg,

>

> The question relating to the developers was meant as if there is a

> potential fee for usage of the NWDS in combination with the NWDI/Portal?

> Meaning the users have "only" e.g. a "SAP limited Professional"

> instead of a "SAP Developer" license.

>

> The question about the infrastructure or "Portal / NWDI server" was also related

> to the licencse (that's why there were the 2 dashes )

I don't think you're required to have 'additional' licenses in order to use NWDS/NWDI - For further details, it'd be best to discuss it with your local SAP representatives about your existing licenses/agreements.

> And yes I expected already on additional server for the DI.

> Thus is that the only additional server instance we've to create or should there be

> some more?

As Thunder mentioned, it is recommended to install NWDI in a stand-alone server instance and 1 should be enough for the NWDI (unless you'd want to have an additional instance as DEV/sandbox for NWDI).

> I guess this one will then be communicate with the different developer machines and

> integrate with the developer portal as a test environment for the apps?

> Relating to the portal with have currently the three instances (Devel/Test or QA/Productive)

> running on the same server machine (dual XEON 2.8GHz, 16GByte memory with potentially

> ~100 to 500 user sessions overall).

Yes, the NWDI will communicate with your 'runtime' systems and developers' local machines. Depending on your planned development, you can use your existing portal instances as your runtime systems or you can add separate SAP Java AS instances (Dev/QA/Prod) for your development (and run your apps from the portal). Again, proper planning, sizing and landscape designing are recommended.

Regards,

Dao

thunder_feng
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Georg

Firstly could you please let me know your meaning by saying this:

"The NWDI environment is not completely set up but we could use already"

- i.e, what has been done for the NWDI environment?

Here I try to answer your questioins

- Is it possible to define non SAP/R3 database resources in the environment ?

A: Sure it is possible, the portal is running on SAP J2EE engine(JAS) which is a J2EE engine fully supports all java technologies.

so you can define your own JDBC connection and develop you own java application based on that.

- What license impact does this have on

A: No, there should be no license impact to you.

-- Portal / NWDI server

A: what is the meaning here? Generally it is not recommended to use the same JAS(J2EE engine) for portal and NWDI,

that is to say, installing both portal and DI usage on the same system, as when the DI system runs, it might consume a lot of

resouces and will have a heavy performance impact to other applications running on the same server(here, portal).

So it is highly recommended to use a separate JAS for DI system.

-- potential Developer with NWDS

A: Java developers

- is the use limited to JSP and JAVA/JAVA WS or what's about PHP/Ruby/Python etc integration

A: yes, it is limited to Java technology, for web application , mainly JSP/Servlet and EJB, maybe webservice if you need.

but not PHP/Python...

Please feel free to let me know if anything is unclear.

Thanks

Thunder

Edited by: Thunder Feng on Nov 15, 2010 1:17 AM