cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Predefined filters

Former Member
0 Kudos

Where is the best place for a tutorial or to learn about predefined filters? I have BOBJ Edge XI3.1.

Thanks in advance

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Regular objects go into the SELECT clause. Filter objects go into the WHERE clause. So essentially anything you can put in a SQL where clause is probably valid in a predefined condition.

You create these by opening your universe, and look down at the bottom-left corner of the screen, below your list of classes and objects. You will see two icons, one for the different object types and another that looks like a yellow funnel. Click on the funnel, and you're in condition mode. Right-click on a class, and you'll see "Insert condition" on the menu. You can now add a predefined condition to your universe.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I was just using the verbage that was used in my Web Intelligence Report Design Class book. It states "Some universes have predefined filters built into them by the universe designer."

As I am the Universe designer also, i am just looking for the best place to get in depth learning materials for creating these filters.

Thank you for the link, that is probably an excellent place to start.

I am in now way connecting to SAP data. My only data sources are SQL 2008 databases.

0 Kudos

I see. You have to build your own filters in the universe designer. The filters you use in your reports are used to build up the where clause of the SQL statement generated from your universe.

Just take a look at the User's guide.

Regards,

Stratos

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ron,

The filters should be built in conjunction with the reporting requirements.

If there is a common requirement for last month's sales data, build a pre-defined condition for it.

What you would need to do here is build an object for start of last month and an object for end of last month and then create a filter where sales date is between these two objects.

If there is a common requirement to include only outgoing telephone calls, build a predefined condition for it.

Basically anything that you think users will want to put in conditions you should include.

Then you can throw this back at the DBA and make sure these columns are indexed for best performance as well.

Regards,

Mark

0 Kudos

WHat do you mean by predefined filters? In a universe you can create your own filters. But there is no such thing as a predefined filter. Unless you are talking about filters which are created automatically for universes based on specific data sources (eg. on SAP BEx queries)

I will suggest you to take a look at the Universe Designer user's guide:

http://help.sap.com/businessobject/product_guides/boexir31/en/xi31_designer_en.pdf

WHat kind of data source do you want to access with your universe?

Regards,

Stratos