cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot Edit Universe Query in Crystal Reports.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We have Crystal Reports 2008 SP5 installed on a Terminal Server where our report developers can go to develop reports. We have a 4 node BOXI R2 SP4 cluster on the opposite side of a firewall, and have opened the firewall ports so that Crystal Reports can connect to this BOXI cluster and a universe on that cluster, and the developers can publish their reports.

For some developers, and the issue is intermittent for them, if they open one of those Crystal Reports to edit the universe query, they go into Database Expert and right click and choose Edit query, nothing happens. The Query Editor window does not open. They don't get any errors, other than the Universe Query editor window refuses to open. No errors on the BOXI server side either.

They can work for a few days and everything works fine, when suddenly this behavior starts. When they report the issue to me and I try it myself, it works fine. I've checked their access rights repeatedly and have even given a user temporary full admin rights to rule out any rights issues, but they stll get this behavior.Just as strange, the problem suddenly will disappear. Often, they will send me an message several hours or days later stating that everything is OK again and they can edit their universe queries in the same reports that refused to work earlier.

I've also checked the BOXI cluster nodes to see if possibly one of the services had a missing -requestport setting, and was choosing a random port that the firewall could be blocking, but everything looks fine. If I login to the BOXI cluster servers and try one of the reports, I can edit the query just fine.

Any suggestions? I'm at my wits end.

Edited by: Perry Provst on Nov 11, 2010 9:18 PM

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

does FRS running on all 4 clustered env?

Former Member
0 Kudos

No, FRS is only running on 2 of the 4 nodes. Two of the four nodes act as the application tier, handling the CMS/Caching/Analytics/etc services, while the other two nodes host services such Paging/Report/Job and are dedicated to report processing. The FRS services are hosted on the report processing servers.

0 Kudos

I had the same issue and it was because the Universe is having Oracle as Database and I dont have any Oracle drivers installed on my machine. Once i have installed Oracle drivers i was able to view/edit the query panel.

Hope this would help you.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Actually, I do have the Oracle drivers installed and configured to point to the DB that the Universe is referencing. I forgot to mention that. My apologies. Everything works fine 80% of the time. It's the 20% of the time when it doesn't work that is what has me at a loss.