cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is the OS IBM OS/400 570 compatible for ECC6?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We are currently on R/3 4.5B

Operating system IBM OS/400 570

Database Oracle DB400 V5R4

Can we upgrade to ECC6.0 on the same OS/DB platform as above.

We checked in PAM , as per PAM ECC 6 is released for DB2/400 V5R4 on OS/400 V5R4

Is the OS IBM OS/400 570 compatible for ECC6?

Regards,chitra

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

0 Kudos

Hello Chitra,

SAP ERP 6.0 (including SAP ECC 6.0) is available on IBM i (for DB2/400 and OS/400) and it is released for the version V5R4. You may check the SAP Product Availability Matrix (see service.sap.com/pam) to validate this.

However, as described in SAP Note 529887 you can not directly upgrade from SAP R/3 4.5B to anything beyond SAP R/3 4.6C. To get to SAP ERP 6.0 you need to perform an SAP upgrade to 4.6C, perform an EBCDIC to ASCII codepage conversion on 4.6C and then do an SAP upgrade to SAP ERP 6.0 as a third step.

Kind Regards, Christian Hölters, SAP Development.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We are running ECC 6.0 Unicode in this environment: IBM i POWER6 570 ( 9117-MMA ) and V5R4M5. No problems but keep in mind that support for this version could end soon as 7.1 is coming. We are also planning the upgrade of OS to v6.1.

Anyway, what appears in previous answer is true you have to do the upgrade in three steps:

- Upgrade to 4.6C

- Unicode conversion from EBCDIC

- Upgrade to ECC 6.0

We finished successfully this process in 2004, upgrading to 4.7x2.00. This year we have upgraded to ECC 6.0.

Regards,

Joan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Christian ,

Thank you so much for your inputs.

Regards,

Chitra

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Definiteley - fits like hand in glove. DB2 is a perfect choice to run SAP on.

0 Kudos

Hi Joan,

IBM i 7.1 is available since April 13th 2010. Until even today IBM did not announce End of Program Support for IBM i5/OS V5R4. Since EoPS is always announced with at least 12 months notice prior to the effective termination date you are safe for at least until nearly end of 2011.

All this can be read here: http://www-947.ibm.com/systems/support/i/planning/upgrade/suptschedule.html

Finally I'd like to reemphasize that the codepage conversion on SAP R/3 4.6C is from EBCDIC to ASCII. ASCII database representation uses Unicode datatypes but real Unicode support is not available before SAP R/3 Enterprise 4.7 based on SAP Technology 6.40.

Best Regards, Christian Hölters, SAP Development on IBM i.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, if you go thourgh the PAM you get the answer.

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI,

Have you a DB oracle in iseries server?, Why?

I never had seen this, becouse iseries server works with DB4 database, but I believe that you can upgrade the ECC to 6.0 server

Regards

William Neira

Former Member
0 Kudos

Check service.sap.com/pam for a definite answer.

Kind regards