cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I have to configure my VM as proposed?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi!

The following configuration below is for 3-tier recomended landscape for my project on 150 users and 5000 SAPS SD benchmark. They are proposing 3 EXS Hosts + 1 Backup. Please advise. Thanks.

Development System

VM1 ECC: DB+CI

VM2 BW: DB+CI

VM3 PI: DB+CI

VM4 BOBJ

QAS System

VM5 ECC: DB

VM6 ECC: CI

VM7 BW: DB

VM8 BW:CI

VM9 PI: DB

VM10 PI: CI

Production System

VM11 ECC: DB

VM12 ECC: CI

VM13 BW: DB

VM14 BW:CI

VM15 PI: DB

VM16 PI: CI

VM17 Solution Manager

VM18 BOBJ

VM19 ECC: Apps

VM20 BW:Apps

VM21 PI:Apps

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Welcome to SDN.

You have specified the VM configurations. And what your +1 backup server mean?

Development System configuration looks OK.

QAS System: Why do you need spate CI and DB? As you said you have only 150 users I don't think so you need spate VM for DB and CI.

Production System: Whats load on your ECC, BW, PI? mean how many concurrent users will be logged on? and whats the data volume on each applications. Depends on you need to take a decision. If there is not much load on your BW and PI then no need to have a App server or CI/DB can be installed one server and can have one App server.

Even though if you want to install app server later and Installation of APP server is not so diffucult and can be done in an hour.

Just clarify are you going to install your test and prod in MSCS cluster?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sunil:

I'm new to SAP. The configuration was provided by HP Partner and verfied by SAP SI.

I'm taking an extra step to make sure that they didn't over do it.

Backup server - If VMWare quicksizer for SAP mention 3 servers required then they proposed to add 1 more. Therefore, there will be 100% HA when 1 server collapsed. They named it N+1 Solution on VMWare.

No matter how, I only have 150 users. I don't see much different on what to load on ECC, BW and PI because of relatively small scale project.

Everything will be VMWare on of Blade Servers.

What's your suggestion?

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

To get a good distribution of workloads I'd "mix" production, qa and dev systems on the blades.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

>>I'm new to SAP. The configuration was provided by HP Partner and verfied by SAP SI.

hm! No comments.

>>I'm taking an extra step to make sure that they didn't over do it.

Looks like over config.

>>Backup server - If VMWare quicksizer for SAP mention 3 servers required then they proposed to add 1 more. Therefore, there will be 100% HA when 1 server collapsed. They named it N+1 Solution on VMWare.

OK.

>>No matter how, I only have 150 users. I don't see much different on what to load on ECC, BW and PI because of relatively small scale project.

Then I suggest you again revisit your QA and Prod landscape server configuration.

>>Everything will be VMWare on of Blade Servers.

Fine.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Lets say based on 90 concurrent users out of 150.

What would be the best model for VM configuration?

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am sure QA not required to have seprate CI/DB as your QA will not have 90 users.

About prod I think you can have CI/DB on one server and one app server for ECC.

For BW and PI you need to first check how much load will be? If its 20-25 users then I suggest you CI/DB on one server should be enough.

Former Member
0 Kudos

The following is the expected concurrent users:

FI CO - 7

ALM - 25

MM - 13

PP - 19

SD - 13

BW - 20

PI - 1500 messages per day through IDOC/XI/J2EE

PI - 6 Connections only for whole day.

Since users are accessing APPs VM only. Can we hide CI/DB behind a firewall? Then, CI/DB will not be expose to the entire network to prevent lesser threats from unknown or known source.

Former Member
0 Kudos

>>Since users are accessing APPs VM only. Can we hide CI/DB behind a firewall? Then, CI/DB will not be expose to the entire network to prevent lesser threats from unknown or known source.

What I suggest is to open only required ports to access SAP ie message server port, gateway port etc... If you go through the installation guide you will get an idea which ports SAP use.

What is the purpose of PI, are you going to send documents over the internet or third party connected to Internet? Or only internal purpose? The scenarios are documented in the PI installation guide.

Former Member
0 Kudos

PI will only be use for integration with Microsoft APPs. I have 6 different location of manucaturing plants. Mainly, all access will be internal only either LAN or WAN.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Mean your servers are not external facing (internet), then I suggest to open required ports ONLY on your LAN or WAN networks should be OK. And do not disclose the administration userID of your SAP system and database.

Also you need to proivde only required authorization to the enduser using roles (SAP Standard security tool)

I found this may help you.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have changed my VM landscape as such:

Development system

VM1 ECC: DB+CI

VM2 BW: DB+CI

VM3 PI: DB+CI

VM4 BOBJ

QAS System

VM5 ECC: DB+CI

VM6 BW: DB+CI

VM7 PI: DB+CI

VM8 BOBJ

Production System

VM9 ECC: DB+CI

VM10 BW: DB+CI

VM11 PI: DB+CI

VM12 BOBJ

VM13 Solution Manager

VM14 ECC: Apps

VM15 BW:Apps

VM16 PI:Apps

Should be alright for 150 users right?

Martin.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes looks OK. Can you please share the VM configuration (ie, CPU, Memory) if possible.

Former Member
0 Kudos

This are the guidelines provided by the vendor.

SAP Central System Server (App + DB) = 1 x Intel E5540 2.5GHz, 16GB (double up from 8GB for additional buffer) memory

SAP Application Server = 1 x Intel E5540 2.5GHz, 10GB memory (60% of Central System Server)

Assume SAP Development server is 1/3 of production server = 1200 SAPs, hence 1 x Intel E5540 2.5 GHz, 6GB memory

SAP Dev is 1 x Intel E5540 2.5 GHz, 6GB memory

Assume SAP QA/Test is identical size to production, hence 1 x Intel E5540 2.5GHz, 8GB

SAP Test/QA is 1 x Intel E5540 2.5 GHz, 8GB memory

SAP Solman Server = 1 x Intel 5504 2.0 GHz, 6GB Memory

For every 100 Users, SAP recommend 1 CPU, 4GB Memory:

SAP BO Server = 1 x Intel 5540 2.5 GHz, 8GB

I'm not sure how accurate is this?

Based on SAP sizing for VM, the results are:

Physical Machines

2x Proliant BL460c G6 Server 2P

Intel 6 - Core 2.93Ghz / 12 MB Cache

57,344 MB RAM

Disk (DAS) - 4 Disk

Installation (I) - 4 Disk (72GB 15K SAS 6G 2.5DP HDD) RAID 10

Former Member
0 Kudos

Looks, OK, you should be easily change / re-assign the CPUs in VM if you have any performance issues.

When you install your development system try to execute heavy load tcode ie (SGEN) and see how your system performs.

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> This are the guidelines provided by the vendor.

I personally wouldn't install a server with 1 CPU only. You can nicely overcommit your CPUs. A database is multi-threaded, every J2EE engines starts up with services in parallel, if you do SP installations you can increase from a better parallelism if you choose more than 1 CPU. A single CPU increases latency because processes have to "wait" for the CPU to get free, the OS schedule can do a much better job with at least 2.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Agreed with what you are saying.

VMWare partners is telling 1 CPU is enough but I also don't agree with them.

You are right, Database Instance should have more CPU and RAM because it hs having heavy loads.

Answers (0)