cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Varient for selection screen in Webdynpro ABAP

0 Kudos

Dear Experts,

We all know that in abap editor selection screen we can save the selection criteria in form of 'Variants'.

I need to something similar in webdynpro. And I was requested not to use the database tables for saving the data.

Is it possible? If Yes then please let me know.

Thanks Supriyo

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

There is no direct correlation to the variant functionality of the SELECT-OPTION from classic dynpro built into the WDA Framework itself. I believe there is a code sample/community project here on SCN to provide this additional functionality for the Select-Option but it does require saving the data into custom database tables.

Several alternatives that SAP offers: POWL - Power Work List. Particularly for reporting type developments. POWL has the concept of queries which are very much like variants in classic dynpro. In 7.01 and higher you can even have sliding date calculations just like in classic variants.

Another option is FPM - Floorplan Manager. In 7.02 there is a Search Generic UIBB (User Interface Building Block). This GUIBB has save and restore search functionalty built-in that is very close to the old variant.

ChrisPaine
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

POWL - Power Work List

Isn't POWL - "Personal Object Work List" ? Although often interchangeable referred to as "Power Lists".

However, if Thomas says "Power Work List" I think we're going to have new variant out there to search on!

NB the POWL is very "Powerful" (sic) in this respect as you can even add your own OVS to the selection criteria. Unfortunately I have found that the POWL selections and selection process are perceived as less than obvious by end users. So much so that where we are looking at pure reporting functionality we are instead looking to BW to provide a web reporting interface.

For some reason (perhaps they've been using SAP backend reports too long) users seem to want to do their selection and then see the results - unless it's in the form of a dashboard - in which case they are happy to drill down into the results. It is like they don't trust the system to have used the correct selection criteria.

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

>Isn't POWL - "Personal Object Work List" ? Although often interchangeable referred to as "Power Lists".

>However, if Thomas says "Power Work List" I think we're going to have new variant out there to search on!

"What's in a name? That which we call a rose, by any other name would smell as sweet".

POWL is one of those things that has several names attached to it now. Personally I just refer to it as POWL, as generally people recognize it as much as any of the spelled out names.