SAP for Higher Education and Research Discussions
Spark conversations about student engagement, research optimization, and administrative efficiency using SAP in higher education and research. Join in!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Execute specific rules of progression for an ST registration date.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

The Metropolitan University has a serious problem with the rules of the progressions and i need some expert advise, because i need to solve this within 10 days.

Metropolitan University recently changed their semester class periods to quarters. Therefore, the rules changed for progression for students old and new students. Let me explain my self better.

The students that start before a specific date should execute a group of specific Rules, for example PRPG01, and PRPG02, and the students that start studying a program after this specific date should execute PRPG03, and PRPG04 and NOT PRPG01, and PGPG02. How can implement this scenario without changing the program type of the program. The program type is the same but they differ from rules in specific date.

ST OLD

Study segment starts before 24.08.2010

e.j IF GPA >= 10.80 the student progression status is 'REGU'

ST NEW

Study segment starts after 24.08.2010

IF the GPA >= 12 the student progression status is 'REGU'.

I need to run the process of progression at the same time. Should i have to do an IF on each EXIT of the rule or how can i do to run just 2 rules of the same container?

Is this possible with my version of SLCM?

SAP SLCM 7.0 no EHP!

I need help on this matter.

Thanks and kind regards,

Cesar Felce

Edited by: Cesar Felce on Nov 9, 2010 11:13 PM

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Dmoreira
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Cesar,

In the structures you have available at the Program Type Progression run, you don't have, as far as I know, information on the study segments to which the student is registered. At leats at PIQRULEPRGR there is no info about that. But as you have the Student ID, you may create an exit to look for this information and use it on your substitution rule logic.

Diego

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

Dmoreira
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Cesar,

In the structures you have available at the Program Type Progression run, you don't have, as far as I know, information on the study segments to which the student is registered. At leats at PIQRULEPRGR there is no info about that. But as you have the Student ID, you may create an exit to look for this information and use it on your substitution rule logic.

Diego

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Diego,

Thanks for your reply!

I understand that their is no information about that in the PIQRULEPROG_GR, I don't want to modify the exisitng exits, but i think that the only solution is modifying all exists and look for that date, and then create an IF or a check if it should evaluate that exit.

But why a have to execute all the Rules for Program type progression? Their is no way to say execute PGPR01 and not PGPR02?

Regards,

César

Dmoreira
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Cesar, another option you have is to classify the students that are on the new "quarter" scheme by using some attribute at the registration data, or at the student master data, and use that attribute to decide which rule to run, in an exit, instead of lloking for the registration date.

Regarding the run of one or both rules, you don't need to run the two rules for each student. You will decide which rule to run depending on which "session (semester/quarter)" scheme the student is registered to.

Diego

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Diego,

Another thing is that the Call-Up Point 0053 their is 4 rules, each of this rules has 30 steps aprox. The issue is that for each of this rules has a previous conditions that doesn't apply to the new students, but they apply just for the old ones.

What can i do?

Kind Regards,

César

Dmoreira
Active Participant
0 Kudos

I don't have the whole info, as I didn't see your substitution structure (all the steps, etc), but you need to place the new logic on the previous condition, as to decide there to which set of rules the student has to be taken, depending if it's new or not.

Diego

Former Member
0 Kudos

Cesar,

I will say to extend structure PIQRULEPROG_GR. Using user exit populate the new fields. Use that field to decide in which criteria student is going to fall in.

Prabhat Singh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Prabhat and Diego,

Thanks for your replies, It has given me good ideas!

I have a doubt before appending the table and using a USER_EXIT.

First of all what user-exit do you suggest?, i have found only a BADI, that is executed after the result of the process?

Second, Can I use the Initialization Exit of each Rule, to extract the missing data, and return the condition to not step into the Rule?

Kind Regards,

César

Former Member
0 Kudos

Cesar,

Yes, Use initialization user exit to populate missing data.

Prabhat Singh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Prabhat,

Thanks, but can i use this exit to avoid using this rule?

For example Substitution Rule

scenario 1PRPG_M1 use initialization exit UMP03

retrieve missing data, add value tu expanded structure and then evaluate in previous condition of each step.

Or

scenario 2 PRPG_M1 use initialization exit UMP03

retrieve missing data and inside the exit evaluate the condition an exit the rule? can i do this?

Thanks,

César

Former Member
0 Kudos

Cesar,

I will say no. Don't use it to avoid rules.

Prabhat Singh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Prabhat,

Definitely expanding the structure and applying the Initialization EXIT, make the deal.

Thanks to the BPX community, and of course to you!

César Felce

RobJonkers
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Cesar,

Some extra info ,beside the real valuable info from Prabhat, I got from my collegians which also could be an option/solution:

Create an expression in the VSR (might need to do it this in an exit) to see if the student started before a certain date (for example: pick the date of registration). Then, for each rule, you will have a pre-condition to check for that start date.

Best regards,

Rob

Former Member
0 Kudos

Cesar,

I will suggest you to use user-exit.

Thanks,

Prabhat Singh