Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LSMW Tcode in Production

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have a request to add transaction LSMW on a Production role. They said, it will help them maintain records in masses.

Are there any issues/pitfalls assigning this transaction in Production system?

Thanks.

John

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

martin_voros
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

one way how to restrict LSMW in production is to use report /SAPDMC/SAP_LSMW_INTERFACE. This report can be used to run LSMW project in background. So you can create a custom transaction with variant for each LSMW object and give access users only to this transaction. They won't be able to create new projects.

Cheers

9 REPLIES 9

Former Member
0 Kudos

As a better option (IMO) you can alternately use transaction MASS to execute such tasks based on BOR objects.

Worth looking into.

Cheers,

Julius

Former Member
0 Kudos

This is a question that often comes up in discussion when a user wants access to LSMW. Often the "pitfall" that comes up for discussion is "Since mass maintence /update is possible will it be catastropic" the checks and balances that are placed also are to answer this question.

Juluis -> the MASS trasaction looks wonderful ! This is teh first time I tried it..looks very versatile! Du bist "UBER GURU !

0 Kudos

Hi George

From memory (addled and poor) MASS uses an auth object with many many values - if you do assign it then restrict carefully.

My previous manager (Hi Derek) pointed that out when somebody in the business asked for it - his comment was something like 'You do have a habit of requesting dangerous transactions"

Cheers

David

martin_voros
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

one way how to restrict LSMW in production is to use report /SAPDMC/SAP_LSMW_INTERFACE. This report can be used to run LSMW project in background. So you can create a custom transaction with variant for each LSMW object and give access users only to this transaction. They won't be able to create new projects.

Cheers

0 Kudos

> /SAPDMC/

I dont see that as a standard "Netweaver" component, so I assume that it only restricts it's own use and not any APIs.

Does LSMW respect APIs?

Cheers,

Julius

0 Kudos

No, It's a standard program mentioned in [LSMW documentation|http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04s/helpdata/en/90/da31ba2e0411d2b43e006094b944c8/frameset.htm].

Cheers

0 Kudos

Hi Martin

We've just tried this in Dev - seems to work a treat by adding the report into the menu of a test role and it brings in transaction Y_DEV_66000033 (Frame program for periodic data tran) in S_TCODE which runs START_REPORT.

Thanks for the information!

Cheers

David

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi John,

Some more views and solutions are pointed out in the below thread:

Hope it helps!!

Warm Rgds,

Raghu

0 Kudos

Thanks to all that replied to my question. The answers, suggestions and links were all very helpful. We have decided not to give access to LSMW in Production. The data that are created or changed in DEV in LSMW are all transportable.

Thanks again!