Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restrict access to different materials using CLASS in classifications tab

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

We need to restrict access to certain materials so only authorized users can access them in several MM transactions (reports etc (not yet decided which ones)).

Is it possible to do this by restriction on CLASS (under class type in classifications tab). Or do we have to use authorization group. I am a little hesitant since i heard authorization group might result in high maintenance and difficulties. I was also looking into using class type but it dosen't seam like a good idea.

What is your recommendation?

many thanks!

Daniel

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Daniel,

The best option is to create a different material type with a specific valuation class and restrict access by material type. Restricting directly at the CLASS is not possible.

Regards,

Raghu

6 REPLIES 6

Former Member
0 Kudos

From what we did -- for example the checmical consumable matereial was differnetiated from the production material by usign the auth objects. if you have a "well" designed authrization concept the maintance of them too will be minimal.

0 Kudos

Hi George,

Thanks for the answer. Did I understand it correct that you used the field material type to differentiate the material?

It might not be an option for us since they want to use material type for other catgories.

regards,

Daniel

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Daniel,

The best option is to create a different material type with a specific valuation class and restrict access by material type. Restricting directly at the CLASS is not possible.

Regards,

Raghu

0 Kudos

Hi Raghu,

It i not possible for me to restrict on material type since it i being used for other purposes.

What would be your second choice, authorization group? Or do you know any other way?

Regards,

Daniel

0 Kudos

Hi Daniel,

Now the restriction is possible using authorization group field on the Basic data1 tab of the material master, or material groups (customizing) .

You will use the below authorization objects:

M_MATE_MAR Material Master: Material Types

M_MATE_WGR Material Master: Material Groups

M_MATE_CHG Material Master: Batches/Trading Units - You can this auth object for restricting changes to batch.

Hope this clarifies!!

Regards,

Raghu

0 Kudos

Yes it dose! Big thanks.

regards,

Daniel