cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archiving MDM at repository level or at Database Level

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Can any one throw some light on taking MDM back up.. Do I need to take back up at repository level or I can take back up at database level?

If I take back up at database level does it will be fine ??

Thanks

Rajeev

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

One thing to consider, which I don't think it highlighted here would be the potential dataloss in the change tracking database. When you create a repository in MDM the system generates two database in your database server. The first of these contains the actual information relevant to your repository (schema, data, etc), and the second contains the change tracking information based on your configuration in the Console.

I'm not sure whether or not an archive will backup the change tracking information, so that could be one consideration to make for potentially also performing backups at the database level. But regardless of whether you perform database level backups or not, you would still want to do archives at the MDM level because that is a very convenient and lightweight method for performing backups, and can be re-deployed on any database at a later point in time (as others have mentioned).

Why not do both? There are most likely configurations in your database that you would want to recover in a truly disastrous situation.

Edited by: Harrison Holland on Nov 11, 2010 1:15 PM

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Rajeev,

You can create an batch file with CLIX commands to create repository archive on aperiodic basis. This will create a2a file of the repository. I have given the CLIX command syntax below however you can refer to the MDM Console reference for futher information.

CLIX cpyArchive MDMHostSpec RepositorySpec [-A filename] [-S segSize] [-F] [-N] [-O] [-D] [-XS] [-XSOVT]

Best Regards,

Mudasir

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rajeev,

it is suggestable to take backup at MDM level by selecting archive repository option will allows you to backup MDM repository in DBMS and platform independent format, after taking archive when you unarchive the repository operation will backup, restore and distribute entire respository

Thanks,

Jignesh Patel

Former Member
0 Kudos

Can any one throw some light on taking MDM back up.. Do I need to take back up at repository level or I can take back up at database level?

- You can take backup at repository level using 'Archive repository...' option.

If I take back up at database level does it will be fine ??

- Prefer 'Archiving repository' over 'database backup'

This will give you flexibility of restoring backup on different database (i.e. archive taken on oracle repository can be mounted on MS SQL Database)

Also MDM does not perform live updates on database (it stores changes on local file system before sending those to database).

Hence if you take database backup while repository is running, then you may not have complete data in your backup.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Either is fine.

MDM archives have the advantage of being database and platform independent and of being smaller than a database backup.

HTH,

Mark