cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTP vs. NFS- basic configuration and doubts - bt. unix and windows systems

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I need to configure a connection between PI (unix box) and a windows server using File Adapter (both sender and receiver).

My doubts are:

- Which is preferable type of conection: NFS or FTP?

- Which are the advantages and disadvanteges of both?

- Most important: Which are the prerrequisites for both ways? Such as installing server ftp, or mounting folders, OS configuration, security config. Etc. etc.

I will apprettiate if you could also post a direct link to documentation.

Thanks in advance.

Exe.

Edited by: EZEG80 on Nov 9, 2010 1:18 AM

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

rajasekhar_reddy14
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> I need to configure a connection between PI (unix box) and a windows server using File Adapter (both sender and receiver).

>

> My doubts are:

>

> - Which is preferable type of conection: NFS or FTP?

in your case you have to use FTP, FTP provides good secuirty , you can use SSL communication to, NFS server will be part of PI so it gives good performance.

> - Most important: Which are the prerrequisites for both ways? Such as installing server ftp, or mounting folders, OS configuration, security config. Etc. etc.

>

you have to mount FTP server, Port,IP address, user name and password details minimum required.

Regards,

Raj

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks guys for rapid and usefull response.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

NFS: when the file folder is available on the XI Server

FTP: when it is at remote

If the Sharing folder is in the same XI system then NFS..If the sharing folder is in different system it is FTP.

we will use NFS when we required to poll the files from local machines.and we will use FTP when we required to poll the data from the FTP server which are in the remote side or outside of the firewall

FTP (file transfer protocol) here you are getting data from ftp server or you are writing to FTP server.

NFS is used when your XI can access the file location directly using the NFS protocol.

When the File System can be access using FTP protocol, then you need to use FTP and provide the FTP server details and user crendentials to pull data from the File Server.

NFS is used when you want XI to use the NFS protocol to access thye location of the file.

FTP is File Transfer Protocol and is used when your Sender SYstem is using an FTP system to send / receiver files.

we are using NFS when we required to poll the files from local machines..

We are using FTP when we required to poll the data from the FTP server which are in the remote side or outside of the firewall..

For more info....go thru these threads...

Regds,

Pinangshuk.