Backup solution for MaxDB 7.8.01.14

Former Member
0 Kudos

Scenario:

ECC 6.0

MaxDB 7.8.01.14

Windows Server 2008

HP DataProtector 6.1

We are in the process of migrating our existing ECC 6.0 landscape off of HP-UX hardware and moving it to Windows Server 2008. My question is about the best way to backup MaxDB using HP DataProtector.

Our current HP-UX solution is this:

1) Autologging is switched off, then a manual log backup is performed. Once completed, Autolog is turned back on.

2) Once log backup is completed, a full online backup is performed; going directly to tape.

3) Througout the day, if a log backup is completed through the autolog process, it is dropped to the HP-UX filesytem level which then triggers a DataProtector process to send this to tape. (I believe that this is called Archiving the Backup Session)

My question is can/should this same process be done in a Windows environment? If not, what is the best way to accomplish what we need done; with getting the autologs to tape being the biggest issue? If so, how do you get the autolog files to tape?

I have read the SAP Library site on MaxDB 7.8, but I wanted to get what a feel for what everyone else is doing for this scenario.

Thanks in advance for your help

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member524429
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

how do you get the autolog files to tape?

Refer FAQ Points 8 & 9 of this [SAP Note 1377148 - FAQ: SAP MaxDB backup/recovery|https://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/1377148] to get more information about your questions.

You can not perform MaxDB log backups directly on Tape. With/Without Third Party Backup Tools, such backups are only possible using PIPE as data carrier medium. Only File and PIPE are possible to use as Data Carriers to perform Manual Log Backup in MaxDB Database System.

You can Integrate Data Protector to perform such MaxDB Database Complete Backup/Restore and Log Backups/restores on Tape. The whole backup/restore flow will be accomplished only through PIPE. Refer Chapter 3. Integrating SAP DB/MaxDB

and Data Protector of this useful document [HP Data Protector A.06.11-- Integration guide for Oracle and SAP|http://bizsupport.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01631239/c01631239.pdf]. Read that Chapter Page By Page as you will find lot of detailed and useful information.

You will find more flexibility while performing MaxDB Database/Log backup using Data Protector. (as same with other supported Third party backup tools)

I hope the above information will help you.

Regards,

Bhavik G. Shroff

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> My question is can/should this same process be done in a Windows environment? If not, what is the best way to accomplish >what we need done; with getting the autologs to tape being the biggest issue? If so, how do you get the autolog files to tape?

You can and probably should just use the very same process.

Why do I say you probably should stick with it? Because you already know how to use it.

You know the programs data protector uses.

You've setup backup pools for it.

You're able to restore data from it.

That's what's counts.

As the backup/recovery works the same way for MaxDB on all platforms, you can simply use the Windows client tools of data protector and stay with the tool-setup your comfortable with.

> I have read the SAP Library site on MaxDB 7.8, but I wanted to get what a feel for what everyone else is doing for this scenario.

Having worked in SAP MaxDB support for the last 7 years I don't know what everybody else does, but most customers use the process described by you.

Hope that helps you with your decision.

regards,

Lars