cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stopping Communication Channel

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have an outbound Interface SAP -> PI -> Ext system.

Requirement is to stop the interface to ext system for 10 days (as ext system is going under maintennance for that long) , BUT the SAP will process it's outbound data as usual and we are thinking of holding that data in PI. We are thinking of stopping the communication channel for that long and starting after 10 days. Now,

1. Will this idea work ?

2. Any issues with messages if they stay idle in PI for that long (10 days ) ?

Please respond with your recommendations.

Best Regards,

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks guys, - Farooq and Rajesh.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I hope you can schedule the receiver file adapter to process the messages.

Check the below link to schedule the adapter.

/people/alexander.bundschuh/blog/2006/01/04/scheduling-messages-in-sap-xi

Also check the below thread, this may help you

Thanks,

Former Member
0 Kudos

Addition to the above what is the receiver adapter you are using to send...

as you mentioned its a external system if it is a http then need to consider that this channel cannot be stopped..

also if deletion/archiving is activated which will delete all the failed messages in moni you cannot resend them..

need to consider the admin jobs of moni too..

I prefer not to take a risk of storing data in PI as the middleware is not meant for storing some data...

if possible check whether the sender system can be able to reprocess those messages..if it can then better to resend from that..

instead from PI..

HTH

Rajesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rajesh,

Receiver adapter is mail adapter, messages are being sent as emails.

Any ideas.

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Rajesh made a very good point. Middleware is not used for storing data. Yes PI persist messages so that it can be send to receive when receiver comes up.

If you consider this solution then overhead is on message monitoring. So that you cannot loss any message that you have to send to receiver.

My suggestion: Talk to basis team and know in and out of message archiving.

2. Think of stopping that interface for that duration. (if possible). Or if feasible put those duration messages in different folder and poll it using multiple file selection. In this case you don't have to deactivate you interface. ( if sender system is File and it can do it).

Edited by: Farooq Farooqui on Nov 8, 2010 3:46 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

What is the type of service interface?

In case of Asyc message...you can deactivate the receiver communication channel. All messages store in PI and persist in error state(in Adapter engine). Finally you can resend all those messages from Message Monitoring.

It will work but if receiver is down for 10 days and you know that in advance too...then what is the point to pick the message and store in PI for 10 days? what if volume is too high?