Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FPM embedded in POWL feeder detail component

former_member182048
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi there

Been searching around for an example of FPM config being embedded in the POWL detail component (POWL_DETAIL_COMP_IF) and cant seem to find one.

I know it is possible to embed a POWL APP in an FPM and also use a POWL feeder inside a GUIBB List. Embedding a tab, form or list into the POWL details only makes sense.

Has anybody done this before, if so what were the gotchas if any?

Cheers

JSP

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

ChrisPaine
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Embedding a tab, form or list into the POWL details only makes sense.

Does it?

To me the POWL is used to show actionable lists of information - adding a form into this doesn't really make sense.

I can see the POWL launching an FPM app to maintain some information (and even having the FPM app portal event that updates have been made to update the POWL if you wanted to get fancy). But actually maintaining non-list based data within a POWL - I don't see that.

But perhaps I am mistaking your requirement/need.

If you look at the (in my opinion rather messy) implementation of the POWL used as the launch point for performance appraisals within HR in EhP4 - you can see how the POWL (embedded in an FPM app - it is certainly "possible" just no "standard" interface exists) is used to launch a new application when an element from the list has been selected.

That's the sort of navigation hierarchy/ui flow that I would expect when using a POWL.

Perhaps you could explain a bit about why you want a form/tab in a POWL?

Cheers,

Chris

former_member182048
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Chris

To me the POWL is used to show actionable lists of information

Agreed, but there are many use cases, some you may not of thought of yet.

Think of a POWL list for processing leave requests and being able to approve them all requests at once, or approving an individual from a detail view form.

Perhaps you could explain a bit about why you want a form/tab in a POWL?

I saw one in this years winning demo jam and now I want one.

Cheers

JSP

ChrisPaine
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi John,

You can use the detail area of the POWL to display whatever UI component you want - But as the FPM relies quite heavily on being triggered as an application rather than a used component - I think you'll have issues with trying to embed it.

I had a chat with Alisdair Templeton - they just used a simple custom built component to show the detail of the POWL item - it wasn't a OIF floorplan!

You can implement the GET_DETAIL_COMP method of the feeder to show additional detail, implement the POWL_DETAIL_COMP_IF interface - and you can event back that the list should be refreshed etc. This shows underneath the current POWL.

So you could use that as "form" inside your POWL - and even allow additional "approval" functionality.

I'm sure it wouldn't be to hard to wrap a standard UIBB in the POWL detail component interface, but you're not going to get the FPM functionality.

Cheers,

Chris

former_member182048
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Chris

I am currently working in areas heavy in FPM and POWL. For a lot of the standard delivered POWL's additional data is needed to make them useful to us, specifically data from areas like user statuses, charecteristics, texts and custom developments etc. Extending the queries to include these areas may prove too costly and forcing a user to do extra clicks redundent. Which is why im investigating an option of reusing FPM Components and configurations in the detail component of a POWL.

You can use the detail area of the POWL to display whatever UI component you want ..you'll have issues with trying

Your answer reiterated what I already knew and that is why I reached out for gotchas from someone who had tried, sucessful or otherwise. The lack of response means i wont progress this option further.

I thank Thomas for highlighting the work being done by SAP, I hope this includes something like a feeder class for the details.

Cheers

JSP

reedtzj
Active Participant
0 Kudos

John,

Sorry, but I have no answer for your question but:

"I know it is possible to embed a POWL APP in an FPM and also use a POWL feeder inside a GUIBB List. Embedding a tab, form or list into the POWL details only makes sense."

Hm, this is my problem. Need to embed a POWL within an FPM application. But as Chris Paine points out here ([Integrate POWL into OIF (Object Instance Floorplan) |😉 this is not possible.

I have managed so far that the POWL is looking OK and I can get an LTA event in the feeder class method IF_POWL_FEEDER~HANDLE_ACTION. But when I trigger the FPM event handler there is nothing happening in the shared FPM component controller method PROCESS_EVENT that I am using. Oh my.

Have you seen such an example? When I read your question I get this feeling but maybe I misunderstood. I am on EhP4 by the way so that should be OK I guess.

<-- Oh come on now, naughty naughty. -->

Chris Paine? Thomas Jung? Anyone?

//Johan

Edited by: Neil Gardiner on Nov 9, 2010 4:25 PM

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

I agree with Chris that currently POWL isn't really designed to be used within FPM because it lacks the UIBB interface. However SAP is currently working to extend the POWL to have an option to implement the UIBB and CHIPs interface for the future. This is something we might see in next year's Enhancement Package.

former_member182048
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Johan

Check out CL_FPMGB_LIST_POWL_ADAPTER, GUIBB List wrapper around POWL feeder.

cheers

JSP

yesrajkumar
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

Refer to the following this. you might find it useful.

http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/90838640-02b9-2d10-71a2-c3eb6b881...

Thanks,

S.Rajkumar.