Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Convert between EDI order Unit of Measure to Base Unit of Measure

TAitchison
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I am looking for a method whereby the following can be accomplished

- Customer orders certain products in LBS UOM...they have been quoted a per LB price and an equivalent CS price by sales and they choose to send EDI orders in LBS

- Base unit of measure for these products is in CS. Stocking unit is cases. Pricing also maintained in cases

- I've maintained alternative UOM in the MM records to convert LBS TO CASES

What i really want is for the customer to submit the EDI order specifying LBS but when the sales order is created i want the order lines in CS. I want to deliver and bill in CS as well. I do not want the sales units to be the units that the order was submitted in.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

0 Kudos

Thomas,

Were you able to solve this issue? I have a similar issue, except I don't need to convert quantities. We have an EDI customer that uses KT as a unit of measure, and we use EA in our system. There is no quantity conversion becuase 1 KT = 1 EA. However, they require the UOM on their PO to be returned on the invoice, so even though I will process through our system as EA, I will need the to revert the UOM back to KT at invoicing time via EDI.

I think I can create a KT UOM in our system and then use it as an Sales UOM, so it will process through our system the same as EA, but this will require continuous maintaince everytime we introduce a new product. I was hoping to find a more seamless method.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

TAitchison
Explorer
0 Kudos

We are currentlyworking through a design similar to the one suggested above which was to use a customer/material info record to store some conversion factor and an enhancement to our EDI invoicing to flip the UOM accordingly. We may go to a Z table for maintenance of the conversion requirements but concept is the same.

I could see this also potentially being done using MM atributes like classification to store the conversion requirements and flipping based on a read of the MM record which would work for a lot of our business where materials ordered by customer are specific to the customer.

Hope this helps

Regards

former_member1115366
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Thomas,

We make creative use of the customer-material info record (CMIR) to do what you describe.

Standard functionality of the CMIR will allow the customer to send their internal SKU on an EDI PO, converting it to our SAP material number for use in the sales order.

We maintain a u201Cconversion factoru201D in the CMIR field called Search Term. We use an exit in the inbound IDoc processing code to apply the factor to the quantity ordered and the EDI1 price condition. For example, the factor u201C/006CASu201D would divide the customeru2019s order quantity by six and use CAS as the UOM on the sales order. The EDI1 price is multiplied by six, so that our CAS pricing matches up.

This allows any customer to order with their internal SKU and UOM, while we process the orders with our internal material numbers and preferred units.

An exit on the outbound process code allows us to use the same factor to change the values back into what the customer wants to see.

This works great in the consumer products industry, where we, the supplier, have to deal with inflexible customer EDI requirements.

Regards,

Ken