Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP Workflow approval using Mobile

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

This is the requirement.

Currently the PO approval is done using the SAP Workflows and the users have to login to the system everytime to approve it.Instead they would like do the approvals from Mobile Handheld device ( iPhones,iPads,Blackberry).

So can this be achieved?

We would like the users to get their email in their handheld device and perform the approval process using the mobile apps instead.

Do we have any existing Mobile applications already in use for this or do we need to develop using NWDS and then deploy in Mobile engine?

Or do we need to think some other components like Duet to achieve this ?

Please let me know your thoughts on this.Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Collins

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Collins,

SAP have the "Sybase Mobile Workflow" solution for this scenario and almost all SAP mobility partners offer a solution for mobile workflow as well. This is because it is a popular "entry level" mobile scenario and it's a good way to quickly deliver business value with mobile technology.

I'd suggest you have a look on the [EcoHub |http://ecohub.sdn.sap.com/]for other offerings and more detail.

Regards,

Steffen

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for your suggestions.I have few questions.

1. As per the EcoHub it says "Sybase Workflow" can receive UWL alerts and notification.So we could also get PO Workflow approvals through it right ?

So is this solution(Sybase workflow) out-of box or we still need to do customization on it t fit our needs.

2. What if we decide to develop the Mobile apps which will receive Workflow alerts using NWDS ? And can we use handheld simulators to connect to it ?

Will this be feasible or we have to go with SAP partner solutions for this.

Thanks

V

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Re 1) On a technical level Sybase Mobile Workflow integrates with the workflow inbox on your backend, so you can use it to mobilize any workflow that requires a user decision. Sybase deliver the client out-of-the-box, but you can control what goes into the individual fields. You can also design and deploy tasks that a user can start from the client.

Re 2) A custom development is absolutely feasible and makes sense e.g. if you have specific requirements on how to present the information that a user needs to make the decision. In that case you are more likely to find yourself developing with the respective platform SDKs, e.g. xcode for iPhone or the BlackBerry Java SDK, which btw. also come with device emulators. Such a custom development can get expensive if there is more than one target platform that you need to support.

Whichever way you go, I'd also recommend to consider how this can fit into the wider mobility strategy.

Regards,

Steffen

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Steffen.

So if we want to go with option 2 and if we need this to be developed for multiple handhelds like iPhone and Blackberry.

Then we need to develop twice based on their respective SDK's as you mentioned ?

Thanks,

V

Former Member
0 Kudos

Basically yes - that's the nature of today's mobile device landscape and one of the good reasons for the various standard products on offer.

If you don't want to buy in a solution. you could also send out notifications via email and ask users to approve or reject by clicking on a link, but obviously that approach has it's limitations as well, i.e. usability, works only online, issues with group approvals, etc.

Regards,

Steffen

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dears,

I do agree with Steffen. On our side, in order to approve workflows, we send emails to the appropriate people via SCOT. By clicking on the link, they do approve the process.

Regards,

Ludovic

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ludovic,

Could you elaborate on your approach.

This seems to be the easier one for now, as we are not much into lot of investment at this time.

Also does the custom development ( mobile app) will be a offline app and they have to sync with SAP when online?

How will the users get the SAP Workflows on the mobile client always , even when they are not connected with SAP.

We are looking for a mobile app that will deliver the workflow notifications directly to the User's mobile, irrespective whether they are online/offline with the SAP system.

Thanks,

V

Former Member
0 Kudos

>

> Dears,

>

> I do agree with Steffen. On our side, in order to approve workflows, we send emails to the appropriate people via SCOT. By clicking on the link, they do approve the process.

>

> Regards,

> Ludovic

Thanks Ludovic & Steffen,

Could you please elaborate on your approach of sending the email via Scot and by clicking the link they do the aproval.

This is exactly what we would like to do.

Thanks,

V

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

If it's just a simple yes / no decision the user needs to make you could write a program on the backend that sends out emails that contain - apart from the data the user needs to make the decision - two links representing the yes and no answers. On the backend you'd need to create a web page (e.g. BSP , ITS Mobile, etc.) that processes the response and shows a confirmation screen.

If there is more input needed you could also do that on the web page, e.g. comments, etc. Also don't forget the exception scenarios, e.g. task has been approved / declined already, etc.

Regards,

Steffen

Former Member
0 Kudos

As Steffen said :

1) you need a user-exit which sends an email to an email address (outlook or whatever else can get it),

2) when clicking on the link, the user will access to a webpage (either generated by SAP or not) via a data communication protocole like GPRS, EDGE, 3G ...

3) The webpage will send the information back to SAP in order to approve or decline the workflow.

Kind Regards,

Ludovic

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear All,

any update on this?

Many thanks and Regards

Bob

markteichmann
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Bob,

currently I am developing a solution for even this scenario. I use the standard workflow for PR approval. I then use some logic to make the workflows available via a REST interface (using a service in ICF that I created) and consume it via Rhomobile.

Here are some blogs that shed some light on the architecture of my solution:

At first you need to build a RESTful webservice (you can find help also on CodeExchange for this):

[RESTful webservices in ABAP using a generic controller|http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/weblogs?blog=/pub/wlg/14592]

Here you can see how I consume the service (this can be done in many different ways, e.g. you can consume the webservice directly on your mobile device or use Sybase SUP or whatever you like)

[Building a Cross-Platform Mobile App with rhomobile|https://weblogs.sdn.sap.com/pub/wlg/27976]

There might be ready to use mobile apps available but the SAP apps need SUP to be installed.

The whole ABAP code for this solution can be developed in a few days. For the mobile part it depends on your required target devices and on the used infrastructure.

Good luck,

Mark

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mark,

thank you very much for your explanation.

Best Regards

Bob

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear All,

We have the same requirement. WE have read that on SRM Approvers of shopping carts can process work items without logging on to the SAP Supplier Relationship Management (SAP SRM) system. The SRM system can send work items by e-mail so that users can process them in their Microsoft Outlook mail client. Unfortunately we don't have SRM but only ECC 6.0. In our case which is the best "fast and clean" solution?

Many thanks for your support and collaboration

Regards

Bob

Former Member
0 Kudos

Collins,

Present i have the same requirement , Can you please give me the solution in detail?

Thanks,

Sivaji.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi ,

You could explore Sybase Mobile workflow [Workflow link|http://ecohub.sdn.sap.com/irj/ecohub/solutions/SybaseMobileWorkflow]

This solution uses Sybase Unwired platform(SUP) and SAP Netweaver Mobile for Mobilizing BE data

Regards,

Liji