cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MaxDB Database Studio on Windows 7

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Has anyone successfully installed Database Studio on Windows 7? I have downloaded the 64-bit package and followed the "HowTo" as directed, but I get an error with regard to the "file C:/SysWow64/drivers/etc/services not found". I am running the SDBSETUP.exe as directed using "run as administrator".

Note, I hope to monitor several Netweaver CE servers that use MaxDB, this is why I hoped to get it installed on my Windows 7 laptop.

Thanks,

Diana Hoppe

Edited by: Diana Hoppe on Nov 3, 2010 2:32 PM

Edited by: Diana Hoppe on Nov 3, 2010 2:32 PM

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

You sure you have 64 bit windows 7 installed?

I think it should be straight forward to install Database studio. http://wiki.sdn.sap.com/wiki/display/MaxDB/HowTo-Installationofa32-bitDatabaseStudioona64-bit+server

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sunil,

Thanks for responding. Yes, it is a Windows 7 64-bit OS. I tried installing according to the "HowTo" and it's just not working.

Kind Regards,

Diana

0 Kudos

Diana,

While the installer is for 64-bit systems the actual application is still 32-bit. You will probably need to define the proper 32-bit JVM path in the Database studio ini file located here by default:

C:\sapdb\programs\DatabaseStudio\dbstudio.ini

Add the following 2 lines to the top of this file:

-vm

C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jdk1.5.0_22\bin\javaw.exe

Where the second line refers to your 32bit JVM installation path.

Regards,

Sam

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Sam,

> While the installer is for 64-bit systems the actual application is still 32-bit. You will probably need to define the proper 32-bit JVM path in the Database studio ini file located here by default:

> C:\sapdb\programs\DatabaseStudio\dbstudio.ini

what makes you think that the installer delivers 32-bit executables?

I just downloaded and installed it and when I check the dbstudio.exe it is a 64-Bit image.

Also the installed database software is 64-Bit flavor:

sdbregview -l
Installation: Global    C:\sapdb\programs
Global Listener                7.9.07.00    valid    64 bit
Installation Compatibility     7.9.07.00    valid    64 bit
Installer                      7.9.07.00    valid
SAP Utilities Compatibility    7.9.07.00    valid    64 bit

[...]
Installation: DatabaseStudio    C:\sapdb\clients\DatabaseStudio
Base                         7.9.07.00    valid    64 bit
Database Studio              7.9.07.00    valid
Database Studio Utilities    7.9.07.00    valid
Loader                       7.9.07.00    valid    64 bit
Redist Python                7.9.07.00    valid    64 bit
SAP Utilities                7.9.07.00    valid    64 bit
Server Utilities             7.9.07.00    valid    64 bit

Nevertheless it's correct to use the 64-Bit JDK for this.

regards,

Lars

0 Kudos

Lars,

In my Windows 7 64-bit laptop I successfully executed the 64-bit DB Studio installation. Then when I tried to run the dbstudio.exe file I received the following error message:

JVM terminated. Exit code: -1

I modified the ini file to point to my 32-bit JVM and everything works fine; this is why I think it still requires the 32-bit JVM.

Regards,

Sam

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Nope. this isn't the case.

You need to have a JDK >= 1.5 though... also for 64-Bit installation.

regards,

Lars

0 Kudos

Lars,

Not sure what you mean by "Nope, this isn't the case"...can you please elaborate on it a bit more? I have both the 64 and 32 1.5 build 22 Sun JVMs installed on my Windows 7 (64-bit) machine. I have installed the 64-bit DB Studio and just for completeness the 32-bit DB Studio fails to install as one would expect.

DB Studio loads properly and works fine when I follow the above steps; if I don't add this in I get the aforementioned error message when I start DB Studio.

Not sure what other conclusion you can derrive from this other than you have to specify the 32-bit JVM in the .ini file.

Regards,

Sam

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> Not sure what you mean by "Nope, this isn't the case"...

By that I mean: you don't need a 32-Bit JVM for the 64-Bit DB Studio.

> Not sure what other conclusion you can derrive from this other than you have to specify the 32-bit JVM in the .ini file.

I've no idea what to conclude from the problem on your installation - but I don't have to do this on my Windows 7 64-Bit Windows and I don't find any documentation, note, readme, PTS entry, email from the developers ... whatsoever that states: use a 32-Bit JVM.

Maybe ther's a different problem on your system.

regards,

Lars

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sam,

I don't have MaxDB installed on this machine, it is installed elsewhere, so I don't have that file to modify. I do have both the 64-bit JVM and 32-bit JVM installed, both are Java 1.6.0_20. My hope was to have it installed on my laptop so I could connect to MaxDB on other servers.

Thanks to you and Lars for you time,

Diana

0 Kudos

Diana,

Sorry I didn't realize that the issue was occurring from the installer....what I had to do was copy the following directory

C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc

to this location

C:\Windows\SysWOW64\drivers

This is probably not the right thing to do but it does work and the installer will work too.

Hope this helps,

Sam

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sam - just tried what you recommended, that did the trick! Thank you so much

Answers (0)