cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installation using a virtual host created .dbenv with wrong hostname

Former Member
0 Kudos

Discovered that during the installation of a Solution Manager on Solaris that the .dbenv_<hostname>.sh and .dbenv_<hostname>.csh and were created with <hostname> = Virtual name. However the .profile uses the 'hostname' to determine which .dbenv to use. Since 'hostname' returns the actual server name and not the virtual name the db environment is not set.

This is easily resolved by renaming the .dbenv to the actual host name. My concern and question is whether this will cause me issues down the road and also I cannot seem to find anyone else or SAP note that reflects this issue.

Please advise...Thanks...

David

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

TomCenens
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello David

We always install using virtual hostnames here, using seperated ip addresses (physical host X with IP Y and virtual host S with IP T) using sapinst option SAPINST_USE_HOSTNAME=<shortname virtual hostname> and we have those profiles with the virtual hostname after installation.

Kind regards

Tom

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

If its a high availability installation we use virtual host name only for the message server install. You Use the Physical host name for the App Server Install and use multiple app servers. If that is not Possible than you can try to create an alias in your host file for the virtual host name.

Good Luck

Vijay

former_member227283
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi David,

Can you check in SAP application, which hostname reflect's over there actual or virtual.

If it shows virtual, then there is no problem, you can go ahead.

Thanks

Anil