cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup on shared disk

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi people,

I want to do the backups of differentes sap system in on shared disk. I´ve been searching about the shared,

but always i´ve the error of access denied.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms179313.aspx

What can i do?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Do you want to backup SAP filesystem or database backup? Generally backup must be taken on the tape device and tape must be kept offsite.

If you are taking backup of multiple SAP systems on shared device then you are putting more risks on your systems. If your shared disks goes off then all your backups gone.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I´ve to do the full database backup.

It´s right that may be dangerous to make all the backup on the same disk, but in this moment i´ve to do this.

Former Member
former_member524429
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

You can perform Full Database Backup of SAP System using DB13 on Remote File location. The only requirement is that the SAP service(s) under which SAP system runs on Windows must be started with common domain user and the used Domain User should have the Full access/permissions to the Remote Directory location.

i.e The SAP system (of which you want to take the Backup) and the Remote shared system loaded with pool of shared Disks/space (where you want to store your backup image), both should be the members of a single Domain.

In this way the domain user (used in windows SQL service) will have the visibility of both the system's resources based on your access controls.

You will have to change the Service User of SQL DB instance Service under Windows like SAP<SID>_<system_no> or SQL db services with domain user. You can specify the user in Service Property --? Login under this account....something like that..

Please take reference of the following SAP Notes to get more understanding about such scenario.

[SAP Note 117395 - Authorization problems for file I/O on Windows NT|https://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/117395]

[SAP Note 48486 - R/3 server in different NT domains|https://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/48486]

I had faced the same issue with DB2 Database before and its was solved as mentioned in this thread [Database Backup using DB13 on mapped shared remote Folder|;.

Regards,

Bhavik G. Shroff

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Any suggestion? I´ve trying with the permissions but I don´t have it.

More thanks

Edited by: Ruben Torres on Nov 11, 2010 9:51 AM

former_member524429
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Any suggestion? I´ve trying with the permissions but I don´t have it.

If you are not having permissions, then you can ask your domain administrator to provide common user with sufficient rights. Also Add that common domain user into the required local groups of SAP system & DB level groups per SAP System. On Target directory that domain user will require write/read/change rights only.

Regards,

Bhavik G. Shroff

Former Member
0 Kudos

I´ve put the shared directory in the AL11, and I get access includind the server in the same domain server. But Where have to declare the shared directory for to make it "usable" for DB13?¿?¿

More thanks

former_member524429
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

I hope you have changed the Service Login Account User of the DB Services your SAP system with Common Domain User who is having the visibility of that Remote System where you are planning to dump your DB Backup into Remote Shared Directory.

You only will have to add this common domain user (which is set in that DB related services in Windows) with full permissions. Consult your System/Domain Administrator.

You will have to do trial & error to complete such Remote Shared Backup configuration. Because you will face the issues mainly due to User visibility and permissions only to the Remote Directory.

Regards,

Bhavik G. Shroff

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi people,

I´ve change the user of the service in services.msc (SQL Server (MSSQLSERVER)) before the change was local system user, i´ve changed to sidadm, but the service cannot start.

The message error is "Error 3:The system cannot find the path specified".

What can i do??

More thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

>>The message error is "Error 3:The system cannot find the path specified

The error message is clear that the SQL server path is not in your <SID>adm profile. Check your environment variables.

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I´ve change the user of the service in services.msc (SQL Server (MSSQLSERVER)) before the change was local system user, i´ve changed to sidadm, but the service cannot start.

The message error is "Error 3:The system cannot find the path specified".

Make sure you use UNC names, not drive letters.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

The service has asigned the path C:Program FilesMicrosoft SQL ServerMSSQL.1MSSQLBinnSQLAGENT90.EXE" -i MSSQLSERVER

But under the folder MSSQL.1 doesn´t exist MSSQLBinn...There are the folder MSSQL.2MSSQLBinnsqlagent.exe, but I´ve pointed the service to this path, and doesn´t start.

I´ve tried now with another system, to change the user for starting the services of MSSQLSERVER, an I don´t have any problem.

The problem is on the folder MSSQL.1 and MSSQL.2. How can It change it??

Edited by: Ruben Torres on Nov 17, 2010 11:33 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

>>The problem is on the folder MSSQL.1 and MSSQL.2. How can It change it??

You can't change the path in service, you have to re-create the service using ntscmgr.exe command.

Former Member
0 Kudos

But If I re-create the service, the other MSSQL Service will be affected?

Former Member
0 Kudos

The easy option is as this is windows you can use Junctions, (ie same as soft link in UNIX) to a folder. Search for SAP Junction you will get the help.

You have created the new service right and while creating the service you have given the wrong path? then you should be able to delete only the service is not workring and recreate with correct path.