cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BI 7.1 Installation help

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

I have to install BI 7.01 on Linux and Oracle Database.

I have gone through the installation guide from market place. I see from NW 7.0 EHp1 there is no option in installation master for dual stack (i.e ABAp+ JAVA).As BI java is required.

Can you please suggest me on how to proceed with the installation.

Also can some one guide me on how to prepare file system layout in Linux Ex: /root , /SWAP./dump, /oracle,/opt /usr, /home etc).

Disk : 400 GB @ SAN Storage

RAM : 8 GB

No. Of CPUs : 4 Quadcore, Intel Xeon (Scalable to 8 CPU)

I would appricate your quick response.

Regards,

Vinod

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

thanks for the Information.

Former Member
0 Kudos

This might help you as well.

Link: [http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/70b3f2c0-cbea-2b10-ef9e-90f61c39c1fb?quicklink=index&overridelayout=true]

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vinod,

From EHP1 on wards there is no dual stack, It is needed to install java separately and integrate with ABAP.

Regarding file system structure, installation guide can tell us the exact requirements

apart from the basic unix file system structures such as /root, /tmp, /home, /var, we need to set up file systems

for SAP as well as for oracle

for SAP

/usr/sap

/usr/sap/SID

/usr/sap/trans

/sapmnt/SID

for Oracle

/oracle

/oracle/SID

/oracle/SID/102_64

/oracle/stage

/oracle/SID/sapdata1

/oracle/SID/sapdata4

/oracle/SID/sapreorg

/oracle/SID/oraarch

exact disk space requirements can be had from the installation guide and sap note.

Thanks and Regards

Purna

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Purna and all,

Thanks for your inputs.

We are going to start the installation end of the week. Mean while em gathering all useful information.

Regards,

Vinod

Former Member
0 Kudos

You cannot install Dual stack anymore for BI systems. You have to install ABAP and Java separately.

You can create following filesystem as this information is in the install guide under SAP Directories and Oracle Directories:

/usr/sap

/sapmnt/<SID>

/usr/sap/trans

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Naveed

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Folks,

If I have to install ABAP and JAVA seperately then Oracle home would be single or Multiple Oracle-homes? on what Circumstances we choose Multiple oracle homes? If Multiple oracle homes choosen then is there any additional configuration needed?

2) As per my assumption oracle software installation has to be carried out for one time through we are installing ABAP and JAVA seperately. Please clarify.

3) If we install ABAP and JAVA seperate. Is the database would be same or not?

We are going to start the installation process soon so can you please clarify on above things. I would appriciate for any suggessions.

Regards,

Vinod

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vinod,

1. If I have to install ABAP and JAVA seperately then Oracle home would be single or Multiple Oracle-homes? on what Circumstances we choose Multiple oracle homes? If Multiple oracle homes choosen then is there any additional configuration needed?

You can decide, whether you want to use multiple oracle home or single oracle home.

Multiple Oracle Home - You ahve to install the Oracle software and SAP installation will create the Oracle DB.

Single Oracle Home- You can use the existing Oracle home and You can choose whether MCOD or seperate database. But in this case the file permissions coming to the picture and you have to take care of that.

2) As per my assumption oracle software installation has to be carried out for one time through we are installing ABAP and JAVA seperately. Please clarify.

Multiple Oracle Home - You have to install the Oracle software and SAP installation will create the Oracle DB.

Single Oracle Home- You can use the existing Oracle home and You can choose whether different schema in the same DB or seperate database for your Java installation. But in this case the file permissions coming to the picture and you have to take care of that.

3) If we install ABAP and JAVA seperate. Is the database would be same or not?

You can choose whether you want to use the same DB with different schema or new database.

Multiple Oracle Home:

Advantages - Both databases will be in seperate place. So If you want to do some activity in one database (ex: applying patch) will not affect other.

2 listener will be in place

Single Oracle Home :

No need apply Oracle patch seperately.

Only one listener will be in place.

Rgds,

JP.

Advantage of

TomCenens
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Vinod

For best performance for large BI environment, seperate BI Abap and BI Java each with their own database is recommended. Often even each on their own respective server.

This means you have two seperated SID's: for example BDA and BDJ who each have their own database.

It also offers more flexibility when doing administrative actions and it is also a fact that it becomes possible to tune each database seperately as the database parameters are valid for the whole database and are not set per schema.

In a lot of environment, they broke down dual stack BI installation and reinstalled them to seperate components due to performance reasons. I believe SAP already mentioned or communicated that they want to go away from dual stack installations and go for seperate installations.

Kind regards

Tom

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Tom,

Thanks much for your response.

Can you please clear me on below things as the requirement got a little change on os & DB.

We have a few changes on requirement now.Initially we proposed Linux and oracle now our client wants to be installing BI on Windows and Oracle. I donu2019t think there isnu2019t any much change in the installation process as discussed on our earlier communications. I need your suggestions again on few points.

1) Does the paging specific to instance or entire server? As per our requirement we need to install both Dev and PRD on single system so how much paging we need to allocate in the system? For RAM 16 GB ( As per the installation master document paging would be 1 times of RAM + 14 GB ) for windows based system.

As per the requirement I need to setup both dev and production instances on single server which contains 4 instances i.e.) ABAP & JAVA (DEV) and ABAP & JAVA ( PRD) with multiple oracle homes. In this case how much paging should I allocate for the server based on the above said RAM(16GB )?

Below is the rough hardware sizing.

CPU - 8 Quadcore, Intel Xeon (Scalable to 12 CPU)

RAM u2013 16 GB Expandable up to 32 GB

SAN u2013 1.5 TB Expandable

Total users: 100

Concurrent users: 70

ECC Database size: 100 GB

BI could be : 1.5 times of ECC DB ( If I'm not wrong) - 150 GB Max. Please correct me.

Please suggest if the server sizing would be enough to accommodate both PRD and DEV instance on a single box.

Please suggest

Regards,

Vinod

Former Member
0 Kudos

>> I donu2019t think there isnu2019t any much change in the installation process as discussed on our earlier communications. I need your suggestions again on few points.

Should not be much difference just follow windows installation guide instead of LINUX.

>1) Does the paging specific to instance or entire server?

Paging is created on server.

>>As per our requirement we need to install both Dev and PRD on single system so how much paging we need to allocate in the system? For RAM 16 GB ( As per the installation master document paging would be 1 times of RAM + 14 GB ) for windows based system.

It should be 1 times RAM plus 14 GB (Go thorugh the inst guide)

>>As per the requirement I need to setup both dev and production instances on single server which contains 4 instances i.e.) ABAP & JAVA (DEV) and ABAP & JAVA ( PRD) with multiple oracle homes.

Not an good idea to have DEV and PROD on same physical server. Mean you are going to two system landscape?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sunil,

Thanks for your response.

Yes, We are planning to go for Two system landscape and planning to install bothe DEV and PROD on single box.

Regards,

Vinod