cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Printing labels using Intermec Printers

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

Can anyone educate me on printing labels using Intermec printers?

Cant we use smartform to generate a label with barcodes using intermec printers? Is using a LabelPro software to design the labels the only solution?

Please help me out with your comments.

Thanks a lot.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

anjaneya_bhardwaj2
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi suhel ,

Can you elaborate the neccesory steps required to print test form as i am getting a very basic error when trying to print a test layout on intermec . Device type PLAIN does not support page format DINA4. I understand the Page format can be changed but what should be the format forIntermec Easycoder PM4I .Also if we have to change the Device type where the configuration has to be changed. is it neccesory to have ZSIM installed on your Intermec printer to intrepret the IPL commands we use in the smartforms . your help will go along way .

Thanks,

Anjaneya .

Former Member
0 Kudos

You can use devicetype SWIN if you have installed intermec drivers on windows.

I print all labels with dina4 layout but in smartforms I change the window size to the size of the label.

ZSIM is only needed if you want to have the barcode interpreted as printcode and not as picture.

I don't take SAP device types for intermec because I only had problems with them. I use SWIN.

Do you want to print a testlayout in SAP or only test your printer without using SAP?

Edited by: Suhel Awad on Feb 1, 2011 1:26 PM

anjaneya_bhardwaj2
Contributor
0 Kudos

where in smart forms do we specify the device types or these device types get assigned to output device in SPAD ....? don;t you think that by using SWIN we will force esch user of this intremec printer have windows driver installed on their machine from where they are triggering this print . I wanted to trigger the Test layout in SAP as i am new to IPL and we have to develop some label for intermec ...until unless i learn IPL it is going to be tough to design rite ? ...

Former Member
0 Kudos

In smartform you have nothing to do with device types. Only in spad the device type for the printer you send the smartform to have to be the right one. We have our printer on a printserver so only the server needs the windows driver.I think frontendprinting is when you print on server your sapsystem is installed on. Then you only use drivers on your server.

I designed a few labels for our intermec printer by now. I don't understand IPL at all. I use SWIN as device type and printer driver on server of sap. Thats all. The SAPLPD comunicates with the windows driver.

Former Member
0 Kudos

What to do to print Labels on Intermec label printer?

First: Decide if you want to get the Barcode as Printercode or if its ok for you to get it send as picture.

If you want to have it as code (faster,for time critical printouts) use ZSIM installation on Intermec printer and device type LZEB2 from Zebra.

Otherwise you can use device type SWIN and normal fingerprint mode.

Second: Build new system Barcode using se73 and select NEW TECHNOLOGY for barcode.

Third: create Smartstyle with the bult barcode as character format.

Fourth: Add the smartstyle to your smartform

Fifth: In smartform go to your textitem and sleect your barcode character format.

Print!

anjaneya_bhardwaj2
Contributor
0 Kudos

I did some research recently on this and was able to get some refernces .you can get through this to get a fair idea of the Label printing using smart forms . We do not need Additional design tool for Label on intermec but you need knowledge of IPL (Intermec printer Language ) . SAP note 183777 gives you a step by step process using this this Tool but we can avoid using this tool if high reliabilty is not required .

References :

Links .

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_470/helpdata/en/aa/f09e387ce38d74e10000009b38f889/frameset.htm

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_470/helpdata/en/aa/f09e387ce38d74e10000009b38f889/frameset.htm

http://home.intermec.com/eprise/main/GSS/Service/Content/Manuals/Show_ManualSearchResults?Product=PR...

SAP Notes :

brad_bohn
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes, you can use Smartforms to render labels for Intermec printers and no, you don't need a software design package. You simply need the manual for the printer in question in order to render the required code that the Intermec will interpret for printing. It's not going to look like a standard form definition though but more like a series of escape sequence lines in a main window.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Brad,

I am afraid I didnt get you properly. According to you we can use smartform for printing labels using Intermec printers. What manual are you referring to? Could you please guide me through that? Also it would be great if you can help me out with a simple example code. I can later test it if it works with a printer here.

Thanks.

brad_bohn
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The manual that came with your Intermec printer. If you don't have one, they are available in PDF format on the Intermec website. You will find sample label code in the manual that you can use in your smartform definition. The website also has a developer's forum but the documentation in the manual should be self-explanatory.

Former Member
0 Kudos

The bar code printed on the label has an extra character '<' at the end. Type is Code 128. If possible can you please let me know what might be the reason for this. Thank you.