Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Two Tracks for the same Runtime System?

Michael_W
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hello,

can you please tell me if it is allowed to connect two tracks to the same runtime systems?

We have already a track connected to our systems. Now we have created a new track to deliver different content to those systems. We wanted to connect the new track to the same runtime systems. Our basis team told me that a where-used message came up that told them "The following runtime systems are already used elsewhere in the CMS domain".

Can you tell us if we will get problems because of this?

Thanks in advance,

Br,

Michael

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Michael_W
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

thanks Jan!

Let me just share some further details to see, if your answer is then still that there should be no problemswith our setup.

Actually both tracks contain exactly the same SCs.

All SCs have been excluded from deployment except for CUSTCRMPRJ.

In our first track I have created a new DC in CUSTCRMPRJ called home/zipc. It's a modification of CRM's IPC UI which is split up in several DCs in SC SHRWEB.

Now we need a second (less modified) version of the IPC UI deployed to the same systems. I want to call it home/ipc.

I cannot create the DC home/ipc that uses the same SCs as home/zipc in the first track, because then the new DC would use the same modifcations as the other DC.

So we created a new track with the same SCs as the first track. All SCs again are excluded from deployment except for CUSTCRMPRJ. I created there new DC home/ipc in CUSTCRMPRJ.

Now the first track should only deploy home/zipc and the second track should ony deploy home/ipc both in SC CUSTCRMPRJ.

What do think about this? Will it work.

Br,

Michael

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello again,

ok now, thats something completely different CRM modification is always special.

To be honest i cannot tell for sure what will happen. As far as i know the default deploy strategy of NWDI is "deploy any version" which means NWDI will order SDM to just deploy not regarding any SDM Version (you are on a 7.0x System right?)

So it should be possible if everything else, excelt those 2 DCs is the same things should work. But if not the last deplyoed version of the shared DCS will be active. Which might lead to problems then.

As far as you described, the setup is as the CRM modification guides mentioned.

My first thought is that you are not forced to use CUSTCRMPRJ as SC name for the projects as far as I know. OS maybe the leanest thing would be to just use CUSTCRMPRJ_light (.o)) for the second track.

Hmmm not sure if this is a good idea or thought to the end. I don't have the CRM modifications guide at hand at the moment. But I guess there was a part where something was mentioned similar to this.

After all I have to say:Sorry. I can't give you solid, reliable tip/advice for this case. Maybe my thought will help you.

Or maybe someone else knows better.

Have a good time

Jan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Oh and welcome to SDN

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Michael,

no this is normally not a problem. Its just a warning. If you deliver different SCs in these tracks its not very likely that there will be any problem. Because the applications are different. Its pretty much the same as if you would deploy them by hand on the same server. If there a logical problems (Same DC name or things like this) the error wpuld be there with NWDI and by hand...

On our Di we have 4 tracks which are connected to the same 3 runtime systems (DEV/QA/PROD). No problems so far.

Things get more interesting if the tracks contain the same SCs like in a bugfixing scenario. There real problem can arise. Following blog is discussing this issue:

Best Practices: Track design for ongoing development

/people/marion.schlotte/blog/2006/03/30/best-practices-for-nwdi-track-design-for-ongoing-development

Hopes this helps

Jan