cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tuple assignment workaround

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI Experts,

I want to run assignments in Tuple field and this is not supported by SAP MDM 7.1 sp04.

Now to achive this I am doing on a workaround,I take those fields(I am creating a copy of same fields) in Tuple in the Main table and user populates those fields.

Once this gets done a workflow is launched on record creation and record is syndicated out and reimported into MDM system into the those Tuple fields.

Now,Can you pls suggest what can be the impact and where should I be more careful?I understand modification scenario also has to go through the same flow.

Pls guide!

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ravz,

user populates those fields

Why are you using USER to populate MDM fields manually..?

Now to achive this I am doing on a workaround,I take those fields(I am creating a copy of same fields) in Tuple in the Main table

I didn't get you.. Can you please explain it in more details. Like if you have say X and Y field in Main table and the values for the same fields X and Y, you want to populate in Tuple Memeber fields. If it so why are you using USER manually to populate fields and then triggering workflow. Please clear and explain in detail about your requirement.

Regards,

Mandeep Saini

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mandeep,

These are the steps of the flow:

->End User links to EP and populates the data

->Now there are many dependent fields which have to be populated through assignments.It doesnt work.

So I have created dummy fields in the main table for the Tuple fields,which have to be populated by assignment,nto the same fields which are there in Tuple.Like Profit Center is in Tuple,and I have created a dummy Profit Center in Main Table.

This will be populated by assignment.

->Once this is done,record is syndicated out using a workflow and then is reimported into the Tuple field.

->I will append these entries in to the Tuple entry.

Please guide me if this is a good option or is there another workaround?

Regards,

Ravz

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ravz,

In this scenario as you explained, Now there are many dependent fields which have to be populated through assignments.It doesnt work. So I have created dummy fields in the main table for the Tuple fields,which have to be populated by assignment,nto the same fields which are there in Tuple.Like Profit Center is in Tuple,and I have created a dummy Profit Center in Main Table. This will be populated by assignment.

I would like to know how are you populating these required assignments for dummy Profit Center in Main table using (Java APIs from EP, Webservice call or using XML file)

Regards,

Mandeep Saini

Former Member
0 Kudos

The first thing that happens will be launch of workflow which will populate main table dummy fields.

On completion of this dummy fields will be populated and and syndication will be launched just after approval.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ravz,

The first thing that happens will be launch of workflow which will populate main table dummy fields.

Here still i am not able to get you as we can populate data in MDM using source files, MDM Webservice or using JAVA APIs as you are using EP as End user so end user creates data in EP which is getting reflected into MDM either of these three (file, APIs, webservice). Are you using MDM-BPM workflow to populate main table data along with dummy fields and then using MDM workflow to reimport data for tuple ..?

Regards,

Mandeep Saini

Former Member
0 Kudos

Here still i am not able to get you as we can populate data in MDM using source files, MDM Webservice or using JAVA APIs as you are using EP as End user so end user creates data in EP which is getting reflected into MDM either of these three (file, APIs, webservice). Are you using MDM-BPM workflow to populate main table data along with dummy fields and then using MDM workflow to reimport data for tuple

I am using basic business content in EP and no webdynpro.User wo has authority as defined in MDM console logs into EP.

He creates record and that gets reflected into MDM.

I am using MDM workflows for all scenarios.

Problem is I have only 17 fields to be entered and there are 80 fields which are default or conditional assignments inside the Tuple.

So when end user creates a record in EP it launches WF in MDM,assignments of main table fields done,syndication takes place to a port,PI picks from that port and reimports to MDM inside the real Tuple fields.

This way my Tuple fields are populated.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ravz,

This is indeed a good flow (Tuple assignment workaround) as you suggested. I think going ahead with this should not give you any problem :).

I would also like to add here MDM-BPM workflow can be the best option for this scenario as given below.

1. End user populate the data using EP which gets created into MDM(using JAVA APIs or MDM Webserice call) but with Record Checkout state.

2. Using EP-->Dependent fields which have to be populated through assignments should be exposed to WEBSERVICE call after records get created into MDM successfully (all feilds except Tuple assignment fields with status Check-out (where using PI (SOAP ADAPTER) it gets converted into desired XML file format for MDM along with display field of Main table) So that when XML file comes to MDM Import Manager (assignment fields which need to be populated in TUPLE along with main table display field gets imported easily into MDM).

3. ONCE these tuple data gets imported into MDM for main table records then status for records changed to Checkin else Rollout from chekout. If somehow there is rollback, end user should be notified so that he can again request for creation of same new record using EP else gets notification that record has successfully get created into MDM.

In this workflow you can allow End User to search for data, de-duplicate data and can set Approval step as per your requirement which will give better control for the complete governance of MDM data flow.

OR

1. End user populate the data using EP which gets created into MDM (using JAVA APIs or MDM Webserice call)

2. For complex assignments, you can use BRM ( Business rule management) which is a part of MDM-BPM workflow to populate TUPLE Assignment fields. so as such I feel there is no need to USE PI/XI to import Tuple assignment fields.

Please refer page 13/31 4.1 Sample Use Case for more details:

http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/50f1c01b-972d-2c10-3d9d-90887014f...

As this design of MDM-BPM workflow needs lot of effort and time. On the other hand, i don't see any technical glitches in your design. I think you should stick to it if it is working fine and meeting your requirements.

Regards,

Mandeep Saini

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Pls tell me what are potential threats points in such design which I shoould take care of?

thanks

Ravz