Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please delete my 2nd identity.

rolf_paulsen
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

I registered to SDN on Jan 30, 2009, userID 3931861: , and wrote 58 posts.

My last post in forum Java EE 5

was entered by myself but stored with another user ID 4156592

that was registered on Oct 12,.2010!

It are all my posts. I did not register two weeks ago for a second time. it is not somebody else who registered with the same name.

(I just stored the marketplace certificate in my browser around this time, but this should not have this effect...)

Could you please move my last post from Oct 28 to user ID 3931861 and delete user ID 4156592?

Regards

Rolf

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

You left your SAP Passport on a client machine, and now someone else is using it on the machine (clicking popups away...).

You need to write to sdn at sap dot com and request that your accounts be merged (into your new one). Then use send a list of posts which should be removed for the old account via the passport.

If they have some information value, then you might need to tolerate the impersonation...

Next time: Delete your client certificates on customer sites. Some customers re-format the machines per use, but not all of them do it.

Cheers,

Julius

David
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Rolf,

Please send this information to sapnetwork@sap.com. Someone responding to that address will be able to assist you.

BR

David

rolf_paulsen
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

You left your SAP Passport on a client machine, and now someone else is using it on the machine (clicking popups away...).

This is impossible. I only connect to sdn from one machine, nobody else was ever on this PC.

And all posts are written by myself so there is no abuse of someone different apparent.

I connect sdn from different OS-users and browsers from my machine, but this should never have this effect, too.

So from my side this explanation can definitely be excluded. Is it possible that there is an error on SAP side? SDN having hick-ups?

Please send this information to sapnetwork@sap.com. Someone responding to that address will be able to assist you.

I will do it, thanks.

Regards

Rolf

Former Member
0 Kudos

Client certificates can create some confusion, but yes you are correct; this could not possibly have been the case here.

Anyway, it will go away if the accounts are merged, but will strange that it happened.

Cheers,

Julius

rolf_paulsen
Active Participant
0 Kudos

I found the reason - easy enough...

My 1st identity I registered the old-fashioned wasa with without certificate (user-ID and Password (no certificate).

Later I got a certificate from service.sap.com with my S-User. When I login with this certificate in SDN (without entering user-ID

and password) I am logged in with the 2nd identity. Both identities look like "Rolf Paulsen" because this name is defined with my S-User.

So it is a known issue with SDN - allows duplicate user names. This time I shot myself with the new account.

(But both are active dependent on the way I login.)

Thanks for your help.

Regards

Rolf

Former Member
0 Kudos

That sounds scary. I was actually considering myself creating a public (P) user, instead of the market place (S) user I'm using now, to avoid having to switch users when loosing the S user. However, it sounds that having two user ID's with different purposes for SDN and marketplace seems to have its own problems... (sigh, I wish there would be some nice document that explains all this)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I would recommend doing that anyway because if your (ex) employer deletes the S account then your user ID is guestified on SDN as well.

It is only the SAP Passport on same machine which is valid both for the SMP and for SDN which will confuse you. P-accounts cannot use SAP Passports unfortunately nor access SMP notes.

Cheers,

Julius

Former Member
0 Kudos

Julius, thanks a lot for the explanation - I kind of expected that you'd be the one answering such postings...

If I do understand you correctly I think it's clear that I'll have to stick to using an SAP service market place (i.e. S) user here on SCN: The S-user is valid for both sites SMP and SCN, so as soon as I'm logged on to the market place (and for any machine I use regularly I do install the SAP SSO certificate for my S-user), it seems I'd have to log out on SCN in order to utilize my P-user. Remembering that, along with the hassle of using the old-fashioned user/password approach seems awkward and by Rolf's example, a nice recipe for confusing split identity postings...

So my personal conclusion (based on my naive and incomplete understanding of the facts) is that it seems more convenient to use an S-user and the only hassle is to have SAP migrate the ID when one changes employers (possibly requiring two migrations with a temporary P-user in between). Of course SAP probably has a different perspective on more convenient...

Former Member
0 Kudos

I agree and have not heard that the merge is a hassle.

Except for being unexpectedly guestified and having to watch out for where you leave your SAP passport, S-accounts are "better".

Cheers,

Julius

David
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi All,

It is actually more complicated. S users are essentially disabled when deleted by an administrator at a local company, but not deleted from our UM store. This tends to cause even more confusion than has been related here. As we use a disconnected UM store, a userid can get deleted within Service Marketplace and therefor be unusable on our site as we make a call to theirs to validate the userid/password combination (hence, if it is deleted, our site gives an error saying the userid password combination is incorrect). The user then writes in and doesn't understand what the problem could be. I have a utility that allows me to enter an S userid and then send a request to the Service Marketplace to check whether it is valid. I get an error code 7 return in the case of deleted userids. At that point, we have to suggest that the user create a public registration. However, to make things more complex, we actually have to alter their display name and email address on the existing S userid record or they get the error stating that they are already in use.

As bad as this sounds, it gets worse. It isn't uncommon for an active consultant to have multiple S userids for all the different clients they have had engagements at. Some get deleted, some stay forever. I've seen email addresses connected to as many as 20 different S userids. Now, to explain how that happens, there is a process that periodically migrates S userids in to our UM store, There are no rules regarding nonduplication of email addresses or display names for this process. When this happens, a person who has been logging in with their email address in place of their S userid suddenly has problems.

All this keeps us in first level support quite busy at times. Eventually, these separate user stores will be eliminated and a central user management solution put in place. Until then, we live with the little quirks.

BR

David

Former Member
0 Kudos

David, thanks a lot for sharing the interesting insights. But despite the support nightmare I think from user perspective an S-user is more convenient on SCN. I've also had multiple S-users, but essentially the main one I used was the one from my company (and only for this one I generated a certificate). This one was good enough for my main SMP use case, i.e. queries, downloads, etc. (essentially the read-only access) and only when actually opening a new OSS message I had to use the appropriate S-user provided by the client (and then a user/password logon to SMP was acceptable).

Anyhow, David/Julius, thanks a lot for the excellent explanations and my apologies for (again) hijacking an answered thread...

Answers (0)