SAP for Utilities Discussions
Connect with fellow SAP users to share best practices, troubleshoot challenges, and collaborate on building a sustainable energy future. Join the discussion.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Too many objects - will this be a problem?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I have a situation where I've got single connection object (a hospital) with hundreds of devices installed.

I migrated the data for this hospital and I end up with several hundred device locations, relating to the devices. I was able to technically install the devices.

When I go to look at this connection object in ECENV_CO though, I get an error "Data environment is incomplete: too many objects" (Message no. ECN30)

It sounds like it's simply a display type error, which I'm hoping it is. My concern is that there may be a limitation somewhere around a corner waiting to bite me when I try to use these installations and bill / invoice.

This can't be altogether uncommon - does anyone know if there's a limitation anywhere regarding # of devices or installations? Or, if you have had a similar scenario would you please share whether it was successful or not, and if unsuccessful what was the ultimate cause and resolution?

Thanks in advance for your insights.

Regards,

CN

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

william_eastman
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

CN:

Your problem is one of performance - for call center functions, showing all data is not usually desirable due to runtime problems. Additionally, billing performance is lessened with more complex data models. But they are normal scenarios in the solution. One person's large is another's small. there is no one size fits all approach, no one all encompassing solution.

regards,

bill.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear C N,

I checked the message you mentioned and you're right it's a kind of display error. It says "If there are more than 100 objects on one level then no more dependent objects were selected for the corresponding object". So, I assume you have more than 100 objects (installation, device, etc.) in your connection object. But one thing I have to say about this issue is that I have been working with high number of data even with more than you mentioned, and never had problems. So, I don't think you should worry about the limitations. Yet again, there may be a limitation which I didn't know. My proposal to you is to run tests with high number of devices, installations, etc. For your convenience you can use MDT (Master Data Template) to create the technical master data in an easy manner.

Hope it helps,

Regards,

Eren

0 Kudos

Thanks Eren for sharing your experience.

Yes, we will be testing our scenarios for sure.

I just wanted to benefit from knowledge of the experts out here who have implemented various systems and scenarios also.

CN

william_eastman
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

CN:

Your problem is one of performance - for call center functions, showing all data is not usually desirable due to runtime problems. Additionally, billing performance is lessened with more complex data models. But they are normal scenarios in the solution. One person's large is another's small. there is no one size fits all approach, no one all encompassing solution.

regards,

bill.

0 Kudos

Thanks Bill for that info. I had not thought in terms of performance, and of course that makes total sense.