cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to create node \\SAPBW\sapmnt\ with type DIRECTORY

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I am trying to install a Dialog Instance on a Windows Server for my SAP on 'i' Central Instance (Dual Stack) so that we can configure Adobe Document Services. The install is failing on step 'Install Common System Files'. The error reads:

WARNING 2010-10-27 08:49:23.773 [synxcpath.cpp:912]

CSyPath::getOSNodeType(bool )

Unable to get information about path
SAPBW\sapmnt\ using GetVolumeInformation. Operating system error message: Access is denied.

TRACE 2010-10-27 08:49:23.773

FSPath(
SAPBW\sapmnt\).isExisting() done: false

ERROR 2010-10-27 08:49:23.773

CJSlibModule::writeError_impl()

CJS-30129 Creating node $(DIR_INSTALL) with type DIRECTORY failed. Original exception text was: syslib.filesystem.nodeCreationFailed:

Unable to create node
SAPBW\sapmnt\ with type DIRECTORY: can't create parent node...

If I go to Windows Explorer, under My Network Places I see the 2 shares required:

sapmnt on sapbw (server)

saptext on sapbw (server)

I can drill down into them just fine.

If I go to System i Navigator, under File System, I see my shares as well. The authorizations are pretty wide open right now. I have the Text Conversion Parameters set according to the Installation Manual.

The user I am running the install with exists on both my Windows server and the System i. (same password)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Diana

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Diana,

When installing a Windows dialog instance, SAPinst during some steps accesses IFS using a UNC connection instead of a shared drive. For a UNC connection to work the user needs to exist on both the Windows system and the IBM i system and the passwords need to be the same. Whereas when accessing IFS via a share you have the opportunity to both specify a different user and a different password if necessary. This is not as easy with a UNC connection.

A simple test to determine whether the problem is with the UNC connection is to sign on to the Windows box with the user you are using for the install, open a DOS prompt and run the command: dir
<host>\<path>, notice that I did not include the name of a share. If the dir command returns the list of files and directories in the target path, then UNC is working. Otherwise, you probably have an inconsistency between the users or the passwords.

Regards,

Kolby

Former Member
0 Kudos

The user and password in windows where you run sapinst must to same that iseries, and in iseries the user sapinst must been *SECOFR.

The dialog instance required a user SOLADM if this blocked,

run WRKSPLF with the user SOLADM and check issues with acces denied, or check the DAPJOBLOG if this is actived

Regards

William Neira

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kolby,

After running the test you suggested I found that there was a discrepancy. The <SID>adm on the Windows doamin had an upper case letter, which the iSeries was not reconizing. We are on V6R1 and I assumed system value QPWDLVL set to 2 would allow the difference. Once we turned the password rules off the domain, made the password all lower case, I was able to move forward.

Thanks to you both for replying to me.

Diana

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Diana,

There is an issue with the password hash on certain Windows releases when the Windows password rules require mixed case and the IBM i password rules don't. This causes problems in some cases when mapping a drive. The problem has been corrected with some Windows releases, but not others. The work around is to change the password level (QPWDLVL) on the IBM i to 2 or 3. After changing the password level you may need to reset the password on the IBM i for the password to be stored as mixed case.

Regards,

Kolby

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kolby,

Is the user ID in this case, <SID>adm's.....or the user I am logged into the Windows server with?

Thanks,

Diana

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI Diana

The user of Iseries systes is type *SECOFR??

If yes Check the spool files with the user that you is using. The user should have a restriction object.

Regards

William Neira

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi William,

Are you referring to the user I am using to run SAPinst? If so, there are no spoolfiles for this user on the iSeries.

Thanks,

Diana

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have noticed that if I select 'Retry' 3 times on the failed installation, I get the message:

User profile SOLADM disabled for i5/OS Support for Windows Network

Neighborhood access.

In QSYSOPR.

I then have to go to the System i Navigator and enable it. User SOLADM exists on both iSeries and Windows Domain with the same password (contains special characters, i.e. #). Also, as Kolby suggested, I changed the password level (QPWDLVL) on the IBM i to 3.

Thanks,

Diana