cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Portal Eventing Parent-Child Explorer window

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi experts,

I have a problem using the portal eventing.

A WebDynpro Abap application, embedded into the EP, opens a new browser window. I want to fire an event in the new browser window and handle it in the first one. So far so good. This works fine.

However if I want to close the new browser window in the same server round trip I fire the Portal Event, the event handler in the first window is not called. My question is: Is it possible to handle a portal event from a child browser window which closes itself in the server round trip, when the event is fired?

Thanks,

Thomas

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Thomas,

Please check the below links, may be useful.

[Portal Eventing - 1|http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw70ehp1/Helpdata/EN/da/f96f4132f15c58e10000000a1550b0/content.htm]

[Portal Eventing - 2|https://cw.sdn.sap.com/cw/docs/DOC-45396]

Regards,

-Syed.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for your answers,

but I'm still facing the problem. I'm able to fire an event in the new browser window and to handle it in the parent window.

I have the problem in the case I'm closing the new browser in the same server round trip, in which I'm firing the event. In this case, the parent window doesn't get the event.

My requirement is to implement a button in the new window - "Save and close" - which saves a document and refreshes the table in the parent window.

Ciao,

Thomas

ChrisPaine
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Does sound like the child window is not propagating the portal event when it is also closing...

I'd suggest a work around (as I have no idea why that behaviour is occurring) perhaps firing the update event and also listening for it yourself? and then closing once the event has been received? If the child component receives the portal event, you'd assume that the parent would also.

Alternatively set a timed trigger after you fire the event - it shouldn't trigger until a screen refresh is done (which you'd hope would mean that the portal event was successfully fired) and close your window on the event fired by this UI element.

Do let us know if you find any other way around the problem!

Cheers,

Chris

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I'm not WDA (still learning), but in WDJ normally we would have a Window Instance when we open a pop-up. In this case, after you fire your Portal Event, in the same Action or Method (WDA) you could just destroy the window instance.

I've checked how to do that in WDA, it seems there is a lot of different options so you might want to try a search in this forum and see what suits you best.

EDIT: Case it's an external window and not an internal one like a Modal, maybe you could code some JS and fire an external plug to handle what you want.

Hope it helps,

Daniel

Edited by: Daniel Ruiz on Nov 2, 2010 3:51 PM