cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SLD activities?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello SAP Gurus,

Iam a BASIS consultant and getting updated my knowledge to Netweaver componets. I need your help to clear few doubts regarding the SLD activities. I have already gone through few SLD docs.. (ex: user manual, sld overview,etc,)

1) Is SLD used for any other purpose otherthan getting information about the installed components and installable components in our SAP landscape. If yes, what are those?

2) While installing EP, does SLD also get installed by default? if yes, then do we need to keep this SLD in EP active including the SLD installed by default with the PI sytems.

3) Is SLD mandatory to do the transports in PI and EP systems? If yes, please help me to find the req docs with the procedures.

4) Lets say we have a 3 system landscape for ECC and 3 system landscape for BI and 2 system landscape for PI , that means 2 SLD's one for DEV PI system and one for PRD PI system. In this case how to go forward with the TS and BS ,etc configurations. do we have to configure all the dev systems( ecc dev, bi dev and pi dev) into DEV PI SLD and Prod(prod ecc, prod BI and Prod PI) systems to PRD PI sld?

Apologies for the long list... plz guide me with the possible guides for these questions and may be more you may have.

Thank you,

Basa

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Is SLD used for any other purpose otherthan getting information about the installed components and installable components in our SAP landscape. If yes, what are those?

There are lot of purpose , infrmation collected is same what you said , but it can be utilized in solution manager (defining systems in SMSY), EP Jco maintainace, PI TS and BS creation .

While installing EP, does SLD also get installed by default? if yes, then do we need to keep this SLD in EP active including the SLD installed by default with the PI sytems.

Its upto you during installation it will ask you to configure local SLD or use Central SLD , based on your requiremene you can choose

Is SLD mandatory to do the transports in PI and EP systems? If yes, please help me to find the req docs with the procedures

Its not mandatory for transport

Lets say we have a 3 system landscape for ECC and 3 system landscape for BI and 2 system landscape for PI , that means 2 SLD's one for DEV PI system and one for PRD PI system. In this case how to go forward with the TS and BS ,etc configurations. do we have to configure all the dev systems( ecc dev, bi dev and pi dev) into DEV PI SLD and Prod(prod ecc, prod BI and Prod PI) systems to PRD PI sld?

Its upto your SLD design and need of TS and BS system in PI, if you need all technical and business system you can create , other option is to create a central SLD for all.

Regards,

thunder_feng
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hello

Gagan has answered the questions, just a little to comment regarding question 1) - Is SLD used for any other purpose

-- yes, SLD is mainly used to keep the system landscape information, but it has another role called "name server".

in case you need to develop Java-base software which runs on SAP WebAS Java, and with the help of NWDI(Development Infrastructure) to management the lifecycle,

then SLD is also sued to reserve the "name prefix" for the software components you are developint, and it helps to aviod name conflict.

Best regards,

Thunder

Former Member
0 Kudos

Is SLD mandatory to do the transports in PI and EP systems? If yes, please help me to find the req docs with the procedures

My understanding on this one is that it is required because from SLD, communication channels get the information of "Source Business systems" and "Target Business Systems" defined

in the Transport Tab in the Business Systems and after getting that information they convert the Business systems during the import or transport into the IB.

Thanks,

Naveed

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks a lot Gagan for your detailed explation. Now its really make sense to me to understand SLD concept and i can relate this to what i have learnt.

Have a great day.

Srihari.