cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP Business Object License and Cluster

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi BO experts,

I am very much confused with licensing part of SAP BO. Went through lot of documents some says physical CPU and Some point towards Cores of Physical CPU.

Would appreciate if any one comment on below

a) Is BO license based on physical CPU ?

b) Is BO licenses based on Cores of physical CPU, if yes how we need to calculate

c) Does application level clustering is supported on BO , Active / Passive? or active/active for load balancing

Thanks

Mohammad

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

0 Kudos

BO currently supports (from the technical point of view) both CPU based and user number based licensing. The CPU based model is indeed calculating the costs based on the number of the cores. I would recommend to contact your local SAP sales office in order to get official information about this.

As far as I understood your question correctly, BO supports active/active clustering ie. Every node that is enabled and running can serve requests. BTW you can disable manually (or automatically over the BO SDK ie you have to write the script yourself) certain parts of the system and enabled them under the appropriate conditions (again either manually or via the BO SDK). THere is no task failover though rather session fail over.

Still you can configure a "processing priority" based setup (limited to certain services though like report processing) for some nodes so that these nodes will take the most of the work when available.

Regards,

Stratos

Edited by: Efstratios Karaivazoglou on Oct 25, 2010 12:12 PM

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

0 Kudos

Please contact SAP sales about this. This is the only way to get an official and reliable statement.

Regards,

Stratos

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Everyone for inputs.

Need to catch SAP Sales now!!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Mohammad,

A further addendum regarding multiple cores:

I believe SAP considers the first core as one CPU and every additional core at .5 CPU for licensing. So, a dual core machine will require 1.5 CPU licenses and a quad core machine will require 2.5 (1 + .5 +.5 +.5) CPU licenses. I unfortunately can't find a link from SAP for this. There is some information at http://infosolblog.com/watch-out-for-the-compliance-police/ .

Best,

Srinivas

Former Member
0 Kudos

This is true however, every agreement can be different. You have to look at your contract. I have seen clients where they count both cores and physicals, at different levels like you have, or no counting of cores. It's all about what you can negotiate and hold as leverage.

Good luck as we were able to get no cores counted which is a steal at this point in the ball game, but this was years ago too when SAP was going to buy BO.

Someday I am guessing there will be a 16 core box, 1 processor and we will get the full benefit of only having 1 CPu counted.

All I have to say is refer to what was negotiated, but typically it's counted with cores as .5 and 1 for physical processors.

gowdatimma_ramu
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Mohammad,

Adding to Stratos,

All the BOE Servers support Active/Active load balancing support apart from Input and Output FRS, which support active and passive method for failover only.

Also the BOE Web Applications like Infoview support the failover and loadbalancing in active/active method.

Regards,

Ramu.

Edited by: Gowda Timma Ramu on Oct 25, 2010 6:15 PM