cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade 4.6C to 4.7 2.00 - EBCDIC

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear All,

I am performing customer upgrade to version 4.7 on EBCDIC system. It isn't possible to get upgrade Kit for 4.7 EBCDIC. When we try with ASCII kit we problems at prepare 1st phases due to system being EBCDIC.

Is 4.7 Supported on EBCDIC?

If not, must I use the CPC Migration kit?

Does the migration Kit work? I have seen other posts that it has problems.

Kind regards,

Mark.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the response Christian,

I'm now trying to plan this work in more detail.

I think I need to discuss this breifly with someone who has done it before. I have questions in a number of areas:

What are the specific steps?

How much preparatory work is required?

How much testing must be done after the conversion to deem it successful?

How long typically should this take? (Our database is 250Gb)

How much extra disk space is needed?

Is there anybody on this forum who may be able to assist?

Kind regards,

Mark.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Mark,

You'll need to order the Codepage Conversion kit from SAP. They'll send you the software with documentation for the process. The process is basically a database export/import similar to a migration. It is a bit different in that it allows you to do it in-place (no need to create a second system)

The amount of preparatory work will vary system to system. A lot of it is cleaning up any data or structure inconsistencies ahead of time, and possibly doing an archiving run before getting started. There will be some reports in the documentation that are specific to diffent functional areas that you may or may not be using. You'll run some of these before and after to compare results.

The areas you'll be most concerned with testing will be your custom reports and security, as sorting orders will change if you're comparing numbers and letters.

It's usually a goal to get the conversion to fit into a weekend. It's data dependant, but with 250GB, I wouldn't expect you'd have much of a problem with this.

Expect about a 60% growth of your database.

You'll need a certified migration or codepage conversion consultant to perform this work.

If you're looking for more information, drop me a line at the address below.

Adam

amarcus@sym-corp.com

0 Kudos

Hello Mark,

EBCDIC is only supported up to 4.6C as communicated via customer letter in 04/2002 (also available via SAP Note 529887). To upgrade to anything newer that 4.6C you have to convert from EBCDIC to ASCII on 4.6C and perform an ASCII Upgrade afterwards.

The Codepage Conversion requires the CPC Migration Kit and is only allowed to be executed by certified personell (Certified Codepage Conversion Consultant). The CPC has been successfully executed at hundred's of installations.

Best Regards, Chris.