cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Safety stock question

0 Kudos

I have product P1 at location L1(procurement type E) and the safety days supply is 3. Rounding profile is blank and the safety stock method is SZ(based on safety days supply from product location master).

Now there is no forecast for any of the months. If today is 10/22/2010 and I load the production location combination in the planning book 9ASNPAGGR on the daily view and run the location heuristic, I get a planned order of 3 for 10/23/2010 and the safety stock is 3 for 10/23/2010, 10/25, 10/27 etc..

Could you please explain:

1. Even though the safety days supply is specified in days, why is it showing 3 units in the planning book for safety stock?

2. Why is the safety stock only showing up on alternate days.?

Thanks

Mathew

Edited by: kurim12 on Oct 22, 2010 9:49 PM

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mathew,

If safety stock is maintained in day's supply, safety stock is calculated as = avg day's demand* saftey stock in days.

This is what I could think-

1. why system is calculating safety stock as 3- since there is no forecast maintained, check what is the avg daily demand. If there is no demand at all, then system is calculating avg daily demand as 1, and hence a safety stock of 3 day's supply as 3*1=3. Check by putting some demand as how the system is behaving.

2. Why the safety stock is coming in alternate days- Could not think of any reason for this. Try using a different planning book and see if the behavior is same there also or not.

-Manotosh