cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP GUI 7.20 Patches and Hotfixes inclusive or exclusive

Former Member
0 Kudos

Are SAP GUI 7.20 patches and hotfixes inclusive of each other? When I compare the info for patches 1, 2 and 3, the information content is for the corrections specific to that patch. I noticed in Patch 1 Hotfix 2, SAP Note 1496857, is also listed in Patch 3 but not in Patch 2. Are "hotfixes" exclusive? I guess patch 3 could have been a new version of SAP Note 1496857. I also noted Patch 2 Hotfix 1, SAP Note 1510810, +correction with medium priority+, is not listed among the info for Patch 3. The SAP Note 1510810 does specificy the correction will be in Patch 4.

If I went from Patch 1 to Patch 2 without incorporating Patch 1 hotfix1 or hotfix 2 I could be missing corrections by just implementing Patch 2. Is this a correct statement? I presume the same is for Patch 3. It sounds like the Front-end Server build must include these hotfixes inbetween core patches. It may not be necessary given the particular SAP GUI scenario usage. I am going back to compilation 0 and include hotfixes and patches.

Per SAP Note 1489891: A hotfix is an extension of an existing patch of SAP GUI for Windows in which one or multiple important corrections has / have been added in addition to those fixes already being part of the original patch. Hotfixes are only shipped for especially words i can't use. It is shipped regardless of the shipment schedule of the regular SAP GUI patches and it only contains one or at least very few correction's. Therefore the risk of introducing regressions is lower. SAP's recommendation is that you install at least the patchlevel which contains all the corrections from the hotfix.

Will Patch 4 include all corrections in this years hotfixes? It would be grate if a quarterly patch to consolidate a majority of hotfixes was in the works?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Now SAP has repleased Patch 2 Hotfix 2 after releasing Patch 3. So there is now way a single Patch has all the corrections. I have Windows 7 issues with BW Bex, SAPphone, Document Direct, and TAO.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Small browser mishap resulted in double posting...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Per OSS note [1489891 - Hotfixes for SAP GUI for Windows 7.20|https://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/1489891]:

You need to check the notes of the corrections which have been added to the hotfix before installing a new patch. The notes will give you information on which patches contain the same corrections. Our recommendation is that you install at least the patchlevel which contains all the corrections from the hotfix.

So I'd expect that changes contained in a hotfix are not necessarily contained in the next patch level released after the hotfix. And though patches are cumulative, I'd also expect that if a hotfix is not contained in a subsequent patch level the changes contained in the hotfix will be undone. I.e. it shouldn't make a difference if you apply all patches/hotfixes in sequence or just the latest one. Please note that this is just my interpretation of how patches work and I haven't validated this (so it would be good if somebody from SAP can give an official comment).

The part that seems a bit sketchy to me in the note above is The notes will give you information on which patches contain the same corrections. As far as I can tell not all (any?) of the notes for a hotfix package describe in which patch level they are incorporated. [OSS note 1053737 - Expected release dates for SAP GUI for Windows & ITS Patches|https://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/1053737] also doesn't seem to help.

MartinMaruskin
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Dan,

This stuff around patch/hotfix of SAP GUI is little bit tricky. I'm not able to find comprehensive note which would enlighten me in this case. This is partly because SAP GUI is modular means there are different types of patches available as per SAP's application e.g. BW, SCM etc.

Anyway according my experience GUI patches are definitely cumulative. Means higher patch contains all patches released before. In relation to hotfixes: While you install e.g. Patch Level C this means it does contain all hotfixes delivered with previous Patch Levels (A and B) till the date when Patch Level C was released.

BR

m./

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

a patch includes previous patches with all hot fixes released before the release of the patch.