cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Single Universe on Master BEx query Vs Multi universes on Multi BEx Queries

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Experts,

What are the different pros and cons of creating a Single Universe on a Master BEx query Vs creating multiple Universes on multiple BEx queries?

I think, as far as performance is concerned then multiple universes on multiple BEx queries might be better than single Universe on single BEx Query.

Are there any other best practices which we should consider?

Would appreciate if you could elaborate these practices with your real life experiences.

Thanks in Advance.

Regards

Prasanna

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Good one...!!

here you go,

1st case: Single Universe

>> As you said, for good performance, less maintenance efforts and no confusion to Users and developers (BO & BI).

In this case, we have to drag & drop all Characteristics, Key fig's, CKF, RKF's etc..., and on top of that Single Universe.

Based the Universe designed we have to develop more BO WebI reports(20+) with different conditions/filters, for that we can use multiple queries in WebI query panel.

And for any changes in BEx query later on, just go to Universe and do refresh structure and export, simple.

2nd case: Multiple Universes

>> Performance may be same, little bit more maintenance needed, and more confusion to Users and Developers while developing WebI reports, in terms of pointing exact Universe based on BEx query.

To combine data coming from Multiple datasources/Infocubes then we can go with this approach.

For the above scenario, you can go with Multiprovider and with Single Universe again.

As said, it all depends on how we want to be successful based on Client req.

Hope you got me.

Gracias...!!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello there,

Thanks for your reply.

Just wanted to understand would performance be good in single universe approach as compared to Multiple Universe? As I was under the impression that Master Query would have so many objects so the query performance would not be that good.

Also, when we say that Multiple Universes would be a problem for Maintenance. What exactly does that mean? Do we need to keep on refreshing or go on looking after those universe extensively or they would be just lying in the BI Repository? And if that is the case then would maintenance be justifiable over performance? In our case, data would be huge but reporting business areas might not be that wide.

I was looking if I could get any document from SAP on the same subject but could not find anything. Does anyone know if any such document exist?

Once again, thanks for your time and patience

Regards

Prasanna

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey Prasanna,

As you asked for real-time exp, so posted all my exp on both.

I don't think so SAP can provide any doc's on this.

In our case, data would be huge but reporting business areas might not be that wide.

>> Go with Single Universe and do manipulations @ BO Query level.

Just wanted to understand would performance be good in single universe approach as compared to Multiple Universe?

>> No comments, depends on your data size and reporting requirements.

As I was under the impression that Master Query would have so many objects so the query performance would not be that good.

>> May be, but it will be for first time, next time onwards not much difference.

when we say that Multiple Universes would be a problem for Maintenance. What exactly does that mean? Do we need to keep on refreshing or go on looking after those universe extensively or they would be just lying in the BI Repository?

>> In this point, for eg:

I have 5 BEx queries and 5 Universes. As of now everything fine. Later on I got a requirement change and has to change 4 BEx queries, Sounds that again I have to adjust my Universes(4) == Refreshing & Exporting. Adding or adjustiong objects @ report.

Hope I clarified all your doubts.

Gracias...!!

Former Member
0 Kudos

It depends on you reporting requirements. Eg:

If we consider a scenario where you need to develop 5 BO reports which are having almost same key-figures just a dimesion

is changing then you can have single Bex query for all the 5 reports.

But if you have complex requirements and need to have separate variables or both the dimesions and key-figures are

different then you should go for the multiple queries.

If you can share your requirements, the forum expert can guide you for your actual scenarios.

Regards,

Rohit

0 Kudos

A large number of universes is harder to maintain.

"Wide" queries can cause performance problems.

Regards,

Stratos