cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change DBSID of existing PI server

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

This is continuation of thread posted in 'Process Integration' forum.

We are trying to clone our Production PI server (both ABAP + Java) along with DB instance and restore it in Test environment. The system id used in Production is 'SXI'. As DBSID 'SXI' is already used by another Test PI instance, we are thinking of using different DBSID say for example, 'ABC'

Now my question is, Is it possible to change the DBSID configuration in the PI server (as it cloned from Production, the DBSID is bind to 'SXI') to point to restored DB instance with different SID 'ABC'?

Appreciate your help.

Many thanks,

Ravi

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jambu,

It is very much possible to change SID and DBSID from existing system by using system copy option.

Choose homo/heterogenous system copy copy option to achieve this , a simple search will give lot of doc.

Regards,

Former Member
0 Kudos

The system copy procedure is going to be almost identical to that of an ECC system copy.

<removed_by_moderator>:

Edited by: Juan Reyes on Oct 22, 2010 9:05 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Here is a procedure I have put together over the years for SAP system copies.

Some of it is specific for the landscapes I setup. This one is for ECC 6.0 on SQL 2005 in Windows Server 2003, but I am sure the general procedure can be very helpful:

This document describes how to perform a homogeneous system copy of an MS SQL Server database by using the backup/restore method, or the detach/attach method in an SAP environment. The SAPinst installation tool supports both methods.

The backup/restore method and the detach/attach method have the following advantages compared to the R3load/database independent method:

You can use an existing backup

The process is much faster

Pre-Copy Requirements

u2022 An SAP ECC 6.0 system, QAS, (similar to PRD in memory and disk configuration) should be installed with a valid SAP license key. (NOTE: Be certain that both the DNS name and NetBIOS name of the server are in all CAPITALS, 8 characters or less, and contain no special characters.)

u2022 The source system should be backed up (Full Backup) and the media should be accessible from the target system.

u2022 Perform a backup of the original QAS system to restore to in case of difficulties.

u2022 Anything from the target that will need to be restored (user definitions, profiles, jobs, printers, RFC destinations, etc.) after the copy must be saved out. In addition, take a snapshot of the client change settings (SCC4), system change options (SE03), workbench organizer/transport system configuration (SE06), and any other setting that will need to be restored in the target system.

u2022 Identify which transports exist in QAS but not in PRD and remind the owners that all transports which have not moved to PRD before the copy will no longer exist in QAS. Preferably, everything should be pushed through pre-copy (including LCP and CRT imports, Hot Packs, and other SAP transports associated with notes).

u2022 Communicate to everyone that any spool data, datasets, master data, etc. which exist only in QAS will need to be moved elsewhere, printed out, or otherwise repositioned before the copy.

u2022 Security profiles and user lists need to be repositioned so they can be recreated post-copy.

u2022 Any external programs affected by the move (BSI, etc.) must be dealt with post-copy.

System Copy Steps

1. Create Java Export files from the source system:

a. Logon to the source server as an administrator

b. Execute sapinst.exe from the Installation Master media

c. Go to SAP ERP 6.0 > Software Life-Cycle Options > System Copy > MS SQL Server > Source System Export > Central System > Based on AS ABAP and AS Java > Database and Central Instance and click u201CNextu201D

d. Enter \PRD\SYS\profile in the Profile Directory field, and click u201CNextu201D

e. Enter the Administrative Password and click u201CNextu201D

f. Select Use database specific tools and click u201CNextu201D

g. Enter the backup directory you wish to use for the java migration data in the Export Location field and click u201CNextu201D

h. Verify the information in the Parameter Summary screen and click u201CNextu201D

i. The export should take 15 to 20 minutes

j. Copy the export directory to the Target Server for later use

2. Stop the target SAP system with the SAP Management Console

3. Make a copy of all the files in the \QAS\SYS\profile\ directory

4. Create a new backup of the source SAP system database

5. Restore the target SAP system database from the backup created in step 4. Depending on database size this can take several minutes or several hours.

6. Run the SAP-provided system copy tool:

a. Logon to the target server as an administrator

b. Execute sapinst.exe from the Installation Master media

c. Go to SAP ERP 6.0 > Software Life-Cycle Options > System Copy > MS SQL Server > Target System Installation > Central System > Based on AS ABAP and AS Java > Central System and click u201CNextu201D

d. Select Custom Parameter Mode and click u201CNextu201D

e. Browse to the Java Components installation media and click u201CNextu201D

f. Leave the default path for JDK Directory and click u201CNextu201D

g. Enter the target system ID (QAS) and click u201CNextu201D

h. Enter the Administrative Password in both fields and click u201CNextu201D

i. Enter the Administrative Password in both fields and click u201CNextu201D

j. Select Homogeneous System Copy and click u201CNextu201D

k. Leave the default Database Connection and click u201CNextu201D

l. Select Use Existing Database and click u201CNextu201D

m. Leave the default settings and click u201CNextu201D

n. Leave the default settings and click u201CNextu201D

o. Leave the default settings and click u201CNextu201D

p. Leave the default settings and click u201CNextu201D

q. Browse to the Migration Export copied in step 1-j and click u201CNextu201D

r. Enter J2EE_ADMIN in the Administrator User field, enter the Administrative Password in both password fields, and click u201CNextu201D

s. Leave the default settings and click u201CNextu201D

t. Enter the Administrative Password and click u201CNextu201D

u. Browse to the Kernel installation media and click u201CNextu201D

v. Verify the information in the Parameter Summary screen and click u201CNextu201D

w. Enter the Solution Manager Key and click u201CNextu201D *see appendix for generating the Solution Manager Key

x. Depending on system size, this may take several minutes or several hours

7. Stop the target SAP system using the SAP Management Console

8. Restore the files copied in step 3

9. Start the target SAP system

10. Cancel any production batch jobs:

a. Transaction SM37, enter job name, user u201C*u201D, and date range including the next day, job status u201Creleasedu201D and click u201Cexecuteu201D

b. Select the job, go to the Job menu and click u201Creleased->scheduledu201D

11. Delete Source System profiles and Import the correct SAP profiles

a. Transaction RZ10

b. Go to Utilities > Import Profiles > Of Active Servers

12. Delete Source System Licenses and install the new Licenses

a. Transaction SLICENSE, click u201CNew Licensesu201D

b. Select Each license and go to Edit > Delete License

c. Click Install and enter the path to the license key file provided by SAP in the browse field and click Open

d. If you are unable to install the permanent license key, it may be necessary to truncate the SAPLIKEY table first, then repeat 12-c

13. Reinitialize in the transport domain

a. Logon to client 000

b. Transaction STMS

14. (Optional) Change the login screen to reflect the correct system information

a. Transaction SE61

b. Select general text, ZLOGIN_SCREEN_INFO, change

c. Change the text and save

15. Change the Logical System

a. Transaction SCC4

b. Click the edit button

c. Double-click client 100

d. Change the Client Role to Test, and save

e. Then change the Logical System to the appropriate name, and save

16. If you are using workflow, you will need to reinitialize it

a. Transaction SWU3

b. Execute the line items marked with a red u2018Xu2019

17. If you are using BI, re-activate the system in RSA1 on the BI system

18. Check the BSI Tax Factory connection by executing report RPUBTCU0 from Transaction SE38. The results should show no errors. Warnings are okay.

19. Verify the Adobe Document Services connection

a. Transaction SM59

b. Edit the HTTP connection ADS

c. Go to the Logon & Security tab and enter the Administrative Password in the password field, and save

d. Transaction SE38

e. Execute program FP_TEST_00, print preview to test ADS connection

f. A simple adobe form with lines and numbers will be rendered if successful

20. Apply any necessary transports

21. Change the logical spool server to point to correct system:

a. Transaction SPAD

b. Select Display for Spool Servers

c. Double click SAP_PRINT SERVER

d. Click the change button

e. In the mapping field select the appropriate application server, and save

22. Lock/Unlock users as necessary, using Transaction SU01

23. Stop and restart the SAP system

24. Run SGEN to recompile programs and reports

25. Run BDLS to change logical system

Appendix:

- Generating a solution manager key

o Logon to any solution manager system

o Transaction SMSY

o Click the Other Objectu2026

o In the System field, type in QAS

o Click the Generate Installation/Upgrade Key

o Verify the information is correct and click on Generate Key

o Copy the Installation/Upgrade Key for use in step 6-w

- The target system is installed using the exports from the source system - On the SAPinst screen SAP SystemDatabase make sure to select Homogeneous System Copy (MS SQL Server-specific: Detach/Attach or Backup).

- For more information about the system copy procedure, see also SAP Notes 193816 and 151603.

- With SQL Server, you can use backup images across the platforms I386, IA64, x64. That is, you can make a backup on one type of platform and use it on another type.

- You can only attach SQL Server 2000 files to SQL Server 2005 but not vice versa.

I hope this helps...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks guys.

The information provided are very helpful.

Former Member
0 Kudos

But remember PI will have post steps which you need to work on exchange profile or else your QA will be pointing to PROD>

In exchange profile you need to change IR,ID, SLD configurations. try to search we have a document for post PI steps.

Thanks,

Venkat.

former_member196664
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Joey Stephens,

I am doing a homogenous system copy, DB:sql server 2005, OS:Windows 2003. During import phase, sapinst is not prompting me for java components location. Could you pls let me know why it is not asking me for java component CD location? I checked in many documents that it is looking for this location. I am not sure why it is not prmpting me? Pls help.

Thanks,

Kavitha.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi kavitha,

Are you doing a distributed installation i.e installing SCS,database and Central instance separately calling SAPinst multiple times for each one of these instances? If so please recall JAVA components would be asked for only during central instance installation.

Regards.

Ruchit.

former_member196664
Participant
0 Kudos

I am doing central installation for ABAP+Java system. It never asked me JAVA components location. Pls help.

Thanks,

Kavitha.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kavitha,

What is the NW release ? Is it greater than or equal to NW 7.10??

In that case it won't ask for JAVA migration CD.

Regards.

Ruchit.

former_member196664
Participant
0 Kudos

It is CRM system - SAP CRM 6.0. - NW 7.00.

Thanks,

Kavitha.

Former Member
0 Kudos

And you are sure it is ABAP+JAVA system ? Or atleast that is the option selected in SAPinst.

Regards.

Ruchit.

former_member196664
Participant
0 Kudos

Yes, it is ABAP + Java and I have chosen the same during Import in SAPinst. Is there any other reason, why it did not prompt for Java components? Pls let me know.

Thanks,

Kavitha.

Answers (0)