cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating a productive System via Systemcopy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi everyone,

I was asked if it is possible to create a productive system via systemcopy from the Dev system. As far as i can remember this is not allowed in a SAP environment because every productive System has to be created via transports after the initial Installation. My problem is I can't find any SAP related document regarding this topic. Can anybody tell me where I can get this information (instguide, sapnote etc.)

Thanks in advance

Marco

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

You should not create you production client using system refresh from any other systems. As you may have dummy data in your source system.

The suggested approach is to install fresh PRD instance and then perform config client import from your DEV golden client (if you have any). Once you have done this then you must follow the SAP standard transport procedure to apply changes to your PRD.

BTW if you are performing the DEV to PRD system refresh just for testing purpose then it's OK.

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

it is possible, but not a good idea.

create a brand new PRD system and transport everything that was changed in your DEV system.

Former Member
0 Kudos

thanks to everyone so far.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

It is not a good practise to copy the development client to a production client as u will be having lot of unapproved changes (may be not up to the requirement or created for testing purpose) in the development client which should never enter into the production environment as u risk the production operation to halt!

The reverse case is possible and is usually done on the QUA system from the PRD system once in a while.

Hope this clarifies.

Regards,

Varadharajan M

Former Member
0 Kudos

Marco,

SAP note#Note 89188 - R/3 System copy.This throws some light on the reasons and pre-requistes for the system copy.

But DEV-->PRD is not recommended.

Usually PRD1-->PRD2 is done when either your moving the SAP to a new hardware or due to business reasons.For eg: divestitures.

Thanks,Prasanna

Edited by: Prasanna K on Oct 20, 2010 8:58 PM