SAP for Healthcare Discussions
Foster discussions about patient care, cost reduction, and operational excellence in healthcare organizations using SAP. Join the conversation.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADDING NEW FIELD(S) IN AN EXISTING TABLE

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello all,

In our implementation, we add new doctors through transaction NG04, in table NGPA.

Recently, due to legislative changes we have to also maintain two new insurance numbers for each doctor - let's call this new numbers "IN2" & "IN3". Our SAP consultants/developers handled this by creating a NEW table, where the "IN2" & "IN3" are stored, together with some other data related to each doctor.

Now, when we add a new doctor we have to insert data TWICE, once for the NGPA table and once for the new table. I'd like to make clear that we need the NGPA entry for using the doctor in admissions/services/etc, and the new table for getting the "IN2" & "IN3" insurance numbers, used in custom reports.

My questions is this:

Is it possible to add new fields in an existing SAP table, i.e. NGPA? Could we also change the NG04 dialogue, so that it contains the two new fields, so that ONLY ONE table (NGPA) is maintained? Isn't this something that consultants/developers would be aware of?

I feel that the answer is "yes" to both questions, but i'd like to hear it from more experienced developers.

Thanks for reading and answering.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

0 Kudos

Hello Nikos

a) Adding new fields to an exisition SAP table

You can add new fields to nearly all SAP tables. This ist called an "Append".

Nevertheless, allways think about the inpact of new fields (data volume, data modell).

Some tables in IS-H have reserved fields for customer use.

This method is not a modification, so your enhancement will be not affected by an upgrade.

Please be aware that new fields have to beginn with ZZ

b) Could we also change the NG04 dialogue ?

Yes you can, but this would be a modification.

Modifcations has an impact to your system, e.g. when you make an upgrade.

c) Isn't this something that consultants/developers would be aware of?

Your consultant has choosen a solution wihout any modification, so this solution has no negativ impact to your IS-H-System.

But with the mentioned restriction (enter data on into two tables with two transactions)

Since NGPA is a kind of masterdate which will not so often chance I think this solution is acceptable.

For the enduser it would be better to have a solution with append to NGPA and modification of NG04.

But therefor you have a modification into you systems.

Best regards

Herbert

PS: I not none SAP-System without modification, in some situation they are nessesary

Edited by: Herbert Duerschke on Oct 20, 2010 3:53 PM

Edited by: Herbert Duerschke on Oct 20, 2010 3:55 PM

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

0 Kudos

Hello Nikos

a) Adding new fields to an exisition SAP table

You can add new fields to nearly all SAP tables. This ist called an "Append".

Nevertheless, allways think about the inpact of new fields (data volume, data modell).

Some tables in IS-H have reserved fields for customer use.

This method is not a modification, so your enhancement will be not affected by an upgrade.

Please be aware that new fields have to beginn with ZZ

b) Could we also change the NG04 dialogue ?

Yes you can, but this would be a modification.

Modifcations has an impact to your system, e.g. when you make an upgrade.

c) Isn't this something that consultants/developers would be aware of?

Your consultant has choosen a solution wihout any modification, so this solution has no negativ impact to your IS-H-System.

But with the mentioned restriction (enter data on into two tables with two transactions)

Since NGPA is a kind of masterdate which will not so often chance I think this solution is acceptable.

For the enduser it would be better to have a solution with append to NGPA and modification of NG04.

But therefor you have a modification into you systems.

Best regards

Herbert

PS: I not none SAP-System without modification, in some situation they are nessesary

Edited by: Herbert Duerschke on Oct 20, 2010 3:53 PM

Edited by: Herbert Duerschke on Oct 20, 2010 3:55 PM

former_member198308
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Nikos

There are some elegant ways to add more data to tables with out a modification.

As Herbert says, it's not possible do so in the dynpro without a modifications. We used to have the field exit, but was virtually deactivated by SAP. I say virtually because I heard that some developers are still using it.

What I recommend is to fill those fields as a PopUp dynpro after pressing the save o check button. The pop up could be developed in the user exit NG200002.

In order to populate the new fields, you should create an append in table NPGA and also in the structure RNGPA_CE, that is the one is used in the exit.

Another way to do so, always with a pop up, is to use Implicit Enhancement Points. You could call the popup dynpro just before the table NGPA is updated.

Anyway, every situation must be analized, there is no magic solution. For example, if you need to add a field to the Case table, there is no need to do a popup because using variants of NV2000 you could add new customer dynpros.

I hope it helps.

With best regards

Matías