Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To change a domain installation to local installation

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

To give you a little background,

We currently have two instance of SAP R/3 running on a server, ECC 5.0, 6.0, Oracle, on Windows.

Our organization was recently acquired by another company, because of this we had to go for a domain change.

To change the domain, system copy is procedure used. I have used the R3load procedure to

perform an export of the existing systems.

While this was happening, I am also working on another issue, with SAP's support, for this purpose, the said server

is currently in a DMZ to be exposed to SAP's support. According to our network guys, we do not have domain controllers

in DMZ, the server has to be a workgroup(if I understand it correctly, its local authentication). To enable this I would have

to use the export I had taken to do a local installation. This is just until the issue gets resolved, once that is done, server

will be moved out of DMZ and into the domain again. At which point, I would have to redo everything back into the new

domain.

This local installation has to be performed on the same server, by uninstalling the current SAP installation.

I have read several posts, regarding database copy, database restore. I am a little confused.

Below is a post where Markus suggests, database copy,

My questions are,

1. Even though I am fairly confident, the export was a success, Can I use the existing database setup, since

it is on the same server?

2. If I have to uninstall the existing system, it is my understanding that I would install the central instance as

a local installation and restore the db, How do I restore database for Oracle? I have looked for a relevant doc,

unsuccessfully.

3. The issue that I am working on with SAP's support, is related to webservices, where in we are trying to call

an external webservice from SAP, I am a little skeptical, if the functionality would remain the same after a local

installation, can somebody shed some light on this as well?

Thanks,

Vishnu

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi dude!

To answer to the main question here: you are right, the supported method to change a domain (and this would include a change from domain to local installation or vice-versa) is, as you already know, to perform a system copy ( homogeneous system copy if the platform remains unchanged under the conditions of [note 547314|https://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/547314]). You can refer to [SAP note 1233320|https://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/1233320] to get further details.

However, let me explain that an export with R3trans is not necessary if the system copy is an homogeneous one. Using a database-specific procedure (e.g. attaching the MS SQL Server database files to another SQL Server engine) is faster by far. You can search for notes on the suitable procedure specific for your database (these will be in the component BC-DB-*, e.g. BC-DB-ORA for Oracle databases). Suggestion: look for "system copy" or "database copy" in the BC-DB-ORA component for your particular case.

In order to get further information on all this, please check [System Copy and Migration homepage on the SAP Developer Network (SDN)|]. In that page you will find also a direct link to the [Installation Guides|http://service.sap.com/instguidesnw]; the link is referred as System Copy Guides, from which you should follow your SAP release (e.g. SAP NetWeaver 7.0 (2004s)), then press the link plan and install (under the Installation section)

and finally, navigate to the section in which the PDF System Copy guides are (in this example, press 2 - Installation - SAP NetWeaver Systems to display the guides, and download e.g. the +System Copy for SAP Systems Based on NW 7.0 SR3 ABAP + Java+).

If you read the System Copy PDF document very carefully and do not dismiss to check the referred notes, this will be as easy as a pie!

Cheers!!