cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade of Database and Kernel from 32 bit to 64 bit.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We have a R/3 Enterprise System - Kernel 32 bit running on Windows x64 bit host with Oracle 9.2 32 bit database. We want to upgrade the DB to 10.2 64 bit and Kernel to 64 bit.

I have seen in PAM that Oracle 10.2 64 bit and Kernel 64 bit combination is possible and approved by SAP. My problem is iam not able to find the Upgrade guides for this scenario in Marketplace. Could you please let me know where i can find the guides or roughly guide me the steps how i should proceed.

Many thanks,

Mohan.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

this can be done eaily.

for SAP:

0. stop SAP and its windows services

1. upgrade SAP kernel to a 64-bit one

2. start it... it should work already

For Oracle:

0. stop SAP and Oracle and their Windows services

1. install ORacle 10g with patches

2. use DMCA to upgrade to 10g

3. pray

Former Member
0 Kudos

@Nikunj,

Thank you for your answer. Iam still thinking about it, i will let you know if i need anything.

@Eric,

- The order must be upgrade of SAP -> Oracle or can it be in reverse order too? (because somewhere in PAM i read, if machine and DB are in 64 bit and sap in 32 bit, the system will not come up).

- What is meant be DMCA?

Thanks,

Mohan.

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Sorry, I meant DBUA (Database Upgrade Assistant).

Ideally, you should upgrade both SAP and Oracle to 64-bit in the same planned downtime.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

you can also simultaneously upgrade from oracle 9 to 10, while migrating from a 32bit to 64bit platform:

Note 932722 - Upgrade to Oracle 10.2 during a database copy

best regards,

Ricardo Caramona

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Eric,

Many thanks for your useful answer.

Regards,

Mohan.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Eric,

One more question - As u said, in the same planned downtime, can we also upgrade our System from 4.7 (R/3 Enterprise) to 6.0 (ECC 6.0) ? Is it possible to do an Upgrade on the same hardware.

Regards,

Mohan.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, you can as mentioned by Eric.

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

yes, you can, but I would upgrade to ECC 6.0 on yhe 64-bit machine.

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Your hardware must be 64-bit compliant. Are you sure this is the case?

are you planning to do this on your actual hardware or want to do this on a new machine?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Eric,

Thanks for the quick reply.

As i already wrote, our SAP System is already running on windows x64 bit machine and iam sure of it.

Yes, we want to perform the upgrade on the actual hardware and not on a new hardware.

Regards,

Mohan.

sunny_pahuja2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

For migration from 32 bit to 64 bit, you need to perform homogeneous system copy. Upgrading kernel 32 bit to 64 bit and migrating database from 32 bit to 64 bit is not advisable. Also, you cannot migrate SAP system from 32 bit to 64 bit on same system. Check SAP note 960769. Extract from this note:

It is not possible to migrate an existing 32-bit Windows system to 64-bit (x86_64) on the same hardware since, in most cases, the existing hardware is not 64-bit compatible. To migrate an SAP system from Windows 32-bit to 64-bit (x86_64), you must make a homogenous system copy for which the target system is installed on a 64-bit operating system. A system copy of Windows 32-bit to Windows 64-bit using the same database platform is referred to as a homogenous system copy.

Thanks

Sunny

Former Member
0 Kudos

In your case below steps need to follow.

1. need to first take full offline backup of DB.

2. Fresh instalation of 64bit operating system

3. Fresh installation of 64bit DB software

4. Fresh installation of 64bit SAP along with Homogenous system copy.

If you have some more query let me know.

Regards,

Nikunj Thaker

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sunny,

The Note says "in most cases" but in our case, the machine is 64 bit compatible. 1 year back, we performed a system copy to this new machine as the old windows machine was very old and also as we were having performance issue. The Network Team suggested us to migrate to a new hardware and we did it. Now, as we already have 64 bit hardware, we want to upgrade the DB and SAP Kernel.

Thanks,

Mohan.